Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Wing reinstallation

WaternutWaternut Posts: 1,511 Crazy Baller
Since a thread was just posted on removing the wing, it made me come forward and ask about the other way around. I've had my wing off since I started skiing the course. At 28-32mph, it makes perfect sense to get rid of it to me. Since I'm just starting to ski into 34 and 36mph at 15 off now, I was wondering at what point you would start considering reinstalling the wing.

Comments

• ForrestGumpForrestGump Posts: 6,062
    IMO, once you're into or through 28 off.
    Shane "Crash" Hill

Than_Bogan
  • ralral Posts: 1,713 Mega Baller
    I am with @Shane, from another perspective, when your starting speed is 32 MPH or more.
    Rodrigo Andai
    I am with @Shane, from another perspective, when your starting speed is 32 MPH or more.
    Rodrigo Andai
  • PBDPBD Posts: 190 Baller
    What @shaneh said once you're going 34 mph
  • WaternutWaternut Posts: 1,511 Crazy Baller
    Let me make sure I understand correctly. Provided you're going at least 32-34mph AND 28 off and shorter, a wing is recommended. Is that right?
    Than_Bogan
    No. When your starting speed is @ 32 MPH or more, meaning you are spending most if not all of your time @ 34 MPH.

Complementing info: a skier should be at his limit pass in a tournament in his 4th pass (or more, if you are a 41off and beyond skier). Meaning that when you start @ 32 MPH, you should be capable of running 22 off and do a few @ 28. You would spend most of your time training @ 34 MPH/15 off and 22 off (being 32 MPH just your opener, and a pass you almost never miss). When you are at or above the level described, it makes sense to put the wing back.
    Rodrigo Andai
    Waternut
    Ok thanks. The stock wing setting for my ski is 9°. Should I run 9° or should I run 7-8° while I'm at the lower limit?
    What ski? Is it 9 at 36 or 34?
    Rodrigo Andai
  • ripa38ripa38 Posts: 54
    There is no magic speed or line length where it is right or wrong. Either it helps or it does not. Try a wing and if it feels better and helps leave it on. If it does not help and feels worse, take it off.
    Horton
    @ripa38, I respectfully disagree. When skiing at slow speeds, it never helps.
    Rodrigo Andai
  • ripa38ripa38 Posts: 54
    Let the skier decide
    Do not want to make something big out of this, but beginners skiing at 46-49 km/h (28/30 MPH) can benefit on having some decisions taken by someone else, like fin setting and wing. At these speeds, a wing does not help.
    Rodrigo Andai
    MattP
    The ski is a 2012 Radar Strada. The ski does well at 28-30 but really takes on a new attitude at 32 and starts skiing really smoothly.