Exactly "how" is 28 off (and shorter) "different" from 22 off?

I am a long time "15 offer" who finally dropped 15 off last year in favor of just starting a bit slower at 22 off. I made great progress doing that last year and was able to reach a PB of 5 at 28 off (34 mph) a number of times last year. This spring, while the weather has been not so cooperative, has been very successful for me and I even ran 28 off once last night (albeit just a tad slow).

Anyway....I've seen mention within this forum numerous times that folks think that 28 off (and shorter) is different from 22 off. I can feel how different 28 off is from the longer lengths, especially with respect to the slack (and subsequent slack hits) I seem to be getting while coming around the buoys (especially 1). What I'd like to understand, from the perspective of you short-liners, is how exactly you think that "28 off is different". I'm hoping that maybe understanding this might help me to put into practice some tweaks to help me ski 28 off (and then deeper) more smoothly and with less scrapping.

P.S. I am hoping to get some video of me skiing to post here soon so that you can critique what I'm doing.
Garn

Comments

• webbdawg99webbdawg99 Posts: 1,067 Mega Baller
    This one is going to be kind of tough to put into words. The biggest difference is the "feel", but that doesn't answer your question. But I'll try.

Wakes- wake characteristics at 22 are significantly different
    Angles- running 22 with shallow angles is pretty achievable. Once you get to 28 and beyond, the angle of the ski's path AND the angles of the skiers body at the ball become much more critical
    Whip- simply put, the feel of the line whipping you across the wakes as opposed to having to pull all the way across the wakes.

For me, when I was running 22 off as part of my practice sets, it made me ski "lazy", shallow angles, and narrow. When I dropped it, my skiing improved. Practice doesn't make perfect, perfect practice makes perfect. And for me, practicing 22 only enforced bad habits that wouldn't work at 28-35.

Hope this helps a little.
    Brady
  • liquid dliquid d Posts: 1,432 Mega Baller
    The rope is 6 shorter.
    OTF
    You are starting to advance on the boat much more as the rope gets shorter. You must not only get the width, but advance on the boat. By being further "up" on the boat, you will have more time to make the turn and be ready for the pull from the boat. The release becomes much more important. So don't rush the turn.
    Than_BoganBrianCballsohard
  • RichardDoaneRichardDoane Posts: 4,834 Mega Baller
    @Lt_Dan - and stay on the handle
    BallOfSpray Pacific Northwest Vice President of Event Management, aka "Zappy"
    Than_BoganBrady
  • lakeaustinskierlakeaustinskier Posts: 399 Crazy Baller
    22 and 28 are different passes and for some shortline skiers 22 off is a hard pass since the angles are different. Body position and handle control is the key for 28 off.
    Ted Thomson, Austin Texas, Aquaplex
  • Lieutenant DanLieutenant Dan Posts: 217 Baller
    @liquid d - I knew someone would point out the 6 foot difference!
  • jwroblewjwroblew Posts: 143 Baller
    they ski the same, the difference is in your head
    @liquid d - I get that with the shorter rope you will need to advance on the boat more just to get outside of the buoy, i.e. its just simple geometry.

@richarddoane - I feel the need to stay on the handle longer to get the "whip" that @webbdawg notes.

I don't get the need to not rush the turn. Could my trying to rip a tight turn be causing me to lose connection with the rope?
  • webbdawg99webbdawg99 Posts: 1,067 Mega Baller
    The shorter the rope gets, the smaller is the window to load, and more time is dedicated to the turn.

At 22, you could ski to the buoy line, ski down course, the turn at the ball, pull cross course to the other buoy line and do it again.

At 39, look at an over head shot of the skiers path. They are almost constantly in a turn. There is a very short segment right behind the boat that the ski is traveling in a straight line. But as soon as the edge change is made, they are initiating the turn. The shorter the rope gets, the more time you're spending in the turn. (Which is from initial edge change to reloading the rope)
    @dan, what happens if you are not riding the rope sufficiently long to advance enough on the boat, is that you'll have the boat pulling you back towards centerline. It will make the approach to the bouy narrow, and hot, and you'll end up with the slack hit or hard to hold on turn. You can be wide enough to get around the bouy and still not advancing near enough . That video will get you some good feedback..hurry up- It's June!
  • 6balls6balls Posts: 6,113 Mega Baller
    The reason it becomes easier shorter is that as you become a shortline skier, you ski more like a shortline skier...I know, sounds stupid. 28 becomes some work, 32 and 35 become so cool, then at 38 things become pretty difficult again. At 28 when skied properly the boat begins to do some serious work for you if your technique allows it, and this is magnified at 32 and 35. It's like "holy crap", I allowed the ski to finish at the right angle, pulled only for a moment and look I'm over here waiting for the next buoy...cool!
    The challenge as I see it is becoming a skier that understands better how to manage wake to buoy rather than buoy to wake. It's easy to crank a turn, set up a big load pull with tons of angle and bust ass to the wake. It's difficult to use energy and position gained into a smooth transition of energy outbound up-course of the next ball in controlled fashion.
    At 22 you can simply pull all the way to the ball and turn. At 28 if you continue in that fashion, you will find the slack at the ball you mention. Trouble is you may feel like you need to pull longer to get out there at 28 off, but it's not the way to go. Your active, leaning away "pull" needs to be shorter, but your edge change/transition and outbound carry needs to be managed...which is another thread entirely. Hardest part of buoy skiing to master in my estimation and becomes even more important at each and every line length shorter than 28.
    Dave Ross--die cancer die
    Skoot1123rok
  • DustyDusty Posts: 315 Baller
    Most everyone here has posted some great stuff. I'll add- that at 15/22 you can 'get away with' pulling a little longer/less eficiently. At 28 and shorter, pulling after the second wake makes you faster and narrower at the ball, with less hope to manage a uselful turn.
    Great stuff everyone. Thanks!
  • SkiJaySkiJay Posts: 2,314 Mega Baller
    edited May 2013
    @Lieutenant_Dan I know the question here is specifically about how 28 is different from 22, and we are talking like there is a night and day difference. The truth is that lots of skiers can get athletic enough to scrap their way through 28 consistently while pulling way too long, but 28 is the real limit on this long-line technique.

Where 28 benefits greatly from a move towards proper shortline technique, 32 demands it. That, in my opinion, is why there is such a logjam of skiers stuck at 22 & 28 for so long. The sooner you can develop good wake-to-ball technique the better.
    www.FinWhispering.com ... Your ski should be your dance partner, not a wrestling opponent
    Skoot1123
  • JordanJordan Posts: 1,296 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    I think at -15/22 the pull phase feels like a tug of war, while 28 and lower it feels like a pulse.

I also think that the speed changes and edge changes are more distinct making you ski more efficiently.
  • SkiJaySkiJay Posts: 2,314 Mega Baller
    edited June 2013
    @Lieutenant_Dan Anyone who is making the course at -22 @ 34mph needs to start acquainting themselves with the dynamics of rope shortening, and -28 is perhaps too small of a glimpse into your shortline future to fully highlight these dynamics and the technique that they require.

I'm a fan of -22 and -28 skiers spending some quality time free skiing or shadowing the course at -35 or even -38. 35 off will teach you a lot about getting comfortable at higher speeds, developing a bulletproof stack, rope control (avoiding slack), and how to harness the considerable amount of energy available behind the boat and beyond the second wake. The experience gained during these enlightening sessions will relate directly back to your efforts to run the course properly at 28 off.
    www.FinWhispering.com ... Your ski should be your dance partner, not a wrestling opponent
    jipster43ballsohard
  • rodltg2rodltg2 Posts: 1,051 Crazy Baller
    So should the wing stay off at 28 or go back on? I'm thinking I will leave it off until can run 32 consistently .
  • Steven_HainesSteven_Haines Posts: 1,079 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    Try both
  • Bruce_ButterfieldBruce_Butterfield Posts: 2,188 Member of the BallOfSpray Hall Of Fame
    The simple answer that most skiers overlook is that every time you shorten the rope, you have to have more speed to run the pass. How to generate and control the extra speed is the dilemma that plagues everyone from the 15 off'er to Nate Smith. But if you can't generate more speed, you have no chance of running the next shorter loop.
    I'm Ancient. WTH do I know?
    SkiJay
  • Bruce_ButterfieldBruce_Butterfield Posts: 2,188 Member of the BallOfSpray Hall Of Fame
    Scot, its actually the opposite. When the rope gets shorter, the skier's path gets longer. More distance in the same time means your average speed has to be higher. Too many people over-analyze things.
    I'm Ancient. WTH do I know?
    HortonDanEThan_Boganballsohard
  • HortonHorton Posts: 32,531 Administrator
    What Butternut said ^

Support BallOfSpray by supporting the companies that support BallOfSpray

Connelly ☆DBSkis ☆Denali ☆Goode ☆GiveGo ☆MasterCraft ☆ Masterline 

Performance Ski and Surf ☆ Reflex ☆ Radar ☆ Rodics OffCourse ☆ S Lines ☆ Stokes ☆

• Than_BoganThan_Bogan Posts: 7,054 Mega Baller
    I overanalyze for a living, and my overanalysis agrees with what Bruce said. I've studied Dave Nelson's stuff a little. It's eye-opening and very interesting, but in the end I disagree with some of his methodology and most of his conclusions. (I should note my own analysis is quite flawed as well; it's damn hard to really do something worthwhile.)
    Nathaniel Bogan -- GUT Padawan
    @scotchipman One of Nelson's core assumption is that the path can be modeled as a sinusoid with a few harmonics. That essentially ignores the rope length right from the get-go, and in my opinion is not a sufficiently accurate model to draw any useful conclusions. According to my analysis, which explicitly takes account of the rope length, the path looks VERY little like a sinusoid and is very asymmetric coming into the buoy vs. leaving it (which harmonics don't help to model).
    That's all I'm going to say about it here. This sort of stuff is far too complicated to discuss on a forum, and doing so wouldn't be likely to make anybody a better skier anyhow. If for some reason you want to get a lot deeper into it, send me an email: nathaniel UNDERSCORE bogan AT alum DOT mit DOT edu.
    The main reason I haven't published anything is that all I can really do is refute stuff, including my own attempts. It's easy to find where the bad assumptions are; it's damn hard to figure out all the right ones AND get the math to work. I have no useful conclusions at this time, and quite honestly I doubt there is much that will ever be learned from serious math that will get anyone more buoys.
    Whoops I lied about harmonics in parentheses above, but I can't seem to fix it with my phone. If offset in phase as well, harmonics _could_ help model asymmetry in and out of the buoy. My bad.
  • ralral Posts: 2,015 Mega Baller
    @Scotchipman, on a simplified approach, it is easy to prove that the path is longer, assuming that at any length the longitudinal path component (downcourse) is equal and then using simple trigonometry.

Now, if you ski REALLY wide at longer lenghts, you will get a longer path (and obviously larger average speed).
    Rodrigo Andai
    all I know is when I'm running 39, it sure seems like I'm hauling ass!
    that comment comes after reading Nelsons articles on scnitzskis.com 30 minutes trying to grasp his ideas...but they don't seem to jibe with the difference in speed I feel between 15 and 39....