No Magnet Perfect Pass

nam1975nam1975 Posts: 129 Baller
I have the PP Stargzer on my Response. I typically use the Classic Slalom mode and we have the 1 magnet set up on our course.

My magnet sensor come and goes. The pull always feels ok, you just don't get a time.

So I was going to get the software upgrade to the no magnet system?

Any feedback??

Thanks...

Comments

• Ed_ObermeierEd_Obermeier Posts: 1,339 Crazy Baller
    If you ski on the same 2 - 3 courses all the time where you have them mapped into the system the No Magnet setup is the way to go. If you ski a lot of different courses or use a portable course a lot, the time spent mapping each time you set up is much greater than the time spent installing two magnets (one on each entry gate). Interestingly the No Magnet software upgrade and a magnet pickup sensor are the same price ($150). Hmmm...
    Ed Obermeier - owner, EZ-Slalom Course Systems
    www.ez-slalom.com
  • nam1975nam1975 Posts: 129 Baller
    My only concern is i never got the GPS slalom to give a good pull....1st segment was hot, then slow, until it settled in around 3 ball.
    The times were always right on, but not a good pull.

I went to classic slalom and did not have any issues.

I hope the software does not mess up classic slalom and/or fixes the GPS slalom.
  • Ed_ObermeierEd_Obermeier Posts: 1,339 Crazy Baller
    edited June 2013
    @nam1975. Here is the fix for your SG surging issues. I've posted this here numerous times before. The feedback I've gotten from numerous SG users who've tried it is that it works like a charm. Try it and message me once you've given it an honest try to let me know what your experience was.

Ed

Directions for SG setup.

1) First thing is to MAKE SURE you don't overshoot your baseline rpm on pullup, especially on a short setup. If you overshoot the set baseline (too high rpm) it takes SG longer to settle back down to the right rpm than it does to come up to it. Gauge where your throttle handle should end up when you pull up a skier and be consistent about taking the throttle handle to that same exact point every time (as much as possible) so your pullup's are consistent and you're not over throttling the pullup.

2) How quickly your SG engages (locks in) determines how quickly it will settle in to correct speed, which is especially critical on short setups. I have found (and numerous others have confirmed) that LOWERING YOUR BASELINE RPM for each speed will help your SG engage more quickly. On my boat ('05 RLXI, 340 hp Monsoon engine) for 34 mph i.e. I've lowered the BASELINE RPM by about 300 rpm from the OPERATING RPM (in other words rpm the boat is running at at speed) so it's engaging at around 32.5 - 33 mph speed. Again, by not overthrottling on pull up and allowing the SG to engage sooner makes it a smooth transition to correct speed before you hit the entry gate. Overshoot and it's hunting around and won't settle properly before you hit the entry gate; that's where you often end up with a rodeo ride off three ball. Lowering the baseline doesn't affect anything except how early the system locks in. You want it to lock in before it gets up to speed but not too far ahead. The adjustment from lock in to correct speed should be seamless and if you don't over throttle it will be.

3) Inverting the tach signal probably needs to be at least tried if you're having issues. Several have reported that by simply inverting the tach signal they've fixed their issues without having to do anything else. Malibu's seem especially to need the tach signal inverted.

4) Once you've done all of the above you probably need to adjust your pre-gate, one ball, and 3-ball settings. On my '05 RLXI at 34.2 mph (55K) the pre-gate is 25 (SG manuals says it should be 80), one ball is 18, and three ball is 20 (all lower than default). You'll have to play with it a bit but once dialed in it's sweet. The analogy is that lowering the baseline's etc is like a binding move. Once you get the bindings (or rpm's in this case) in the right place, the fin tweaks (in this case adjusting the pregate/one ball/three ball settings) are to dial it in perfectly. Note that I run a 13 x 13 Acme CNC prop (stock for my boat is 13 x 12, I think...) so my numbers may not work exactly for your boat. My prop runs a bit lower rpm than the stock prop would.

BTW I leave my crew weight at I think 350 lbs. Seems to work well there. We usually have two plus gear in the boat while pulling a skier but with 3 in the boat pulling a skier I don't change it and it doesn't seem to matter. FWIW.
    Ed Obermeier - owner, EZ-Slalom Course Systems
    www.ez-slalom.com
  • DanEDanE Posts: 860 Crazy Baller
    edited June 2013
    @nam1975 There might be a less complicated approach to this, have done it successevly with PP Zbox wich basically have the same problem as Stargazer ( Zbox is Stargazer with an accelerometer add on).
    The terminology for balancing segment times are Ball1. Ball3 and so on. Ball1 affects the time to buoy #2 Ball3 affects time to buoy #4.
    Can be a bit confusing, probably has to do with all buoy timing chart where segment time to first buoy start with 0.
    After I discovered this I got our Boat to run Perfect times at every buoy, feels just like a true Zero off Boat now.
    Remember, you must look at Times for every buoy, not just buoy 1, 3 and exit.(I actually look at the small digits next to the Times i.e -01, 00 , +01 that tells deviation from actuals)
    When the difference start to get significant from buoy to buoy or Even worse between 2 buoys the pull feels like crap.
    I run baselines dead on actuals, enter true crew weight and finally got this system to work as intended.
  • musclefixermusclefixer Posts: 54 Baller
    Has any one had this problem? I like the new 8.0.2 software for SG, but since the upgrade My boat a '00 MC 190 powerslot, will run 16.97 all the time. I have tried playing with the KX ( now running it at +) and the segments ball times and nothing really seems to change. Ever. Which I think is weird. My crew weight is #325, ball 1 time 1.75/.76, then 4.43, 7.15, 12.50, 15.27, 16.97. The pull really does feel fine and doesn't run away, but these background numbers don't seem to change anything for me. Ive even tried light, feather and heavy, and its still the same. Regardless of skier. Maybe I should just me happy with 16.97 and a solid pass.