When do kids need a junior rope?

WBLskierWBLskier Posts: 451 Baller
So my six year old is getting up on a slalom and he is crossing the wake but not really cutting yet. Hopefully that comes soon. I'm wondering when I need to get her a junior weight rope? Is that to keep the rope from catching the wake? Recommendations on what to get? Thanks.

Comments

• klindyklindy Posts: 2,252 Mega Baller
    I'd use a junior rope now. I'll be the rope dips into the water currently and the lighter rope may not prevent it but should certainly reduce it.
    Keith Lindemulder
    AWSA Vice President
    AWSA Southern Region EVP
  • RichardDoaneRichardDoane Posts: 4,052 Mega Baller
    I got one from @jdarwin, it's a Masterline and works great, and can't beat the service
    BallOfSpray Pacific Northwest Vice President of Event Management, aka "Zappy"
  • InboardfixInboardfix Posts: 112 Baller
    Since she is not working on the course I'd recommend using a spectra mainline which is used in wakeboarding. It is much lighter than even the youth rope and pretty much eliminates the rope dipping in the water or catching a wake. Once she starts working on the course then definitely get a youth rope.
  • DragoDrago Posts: 1,467 Mega Baller
    Yikes. I don't think wakeboard ropes stretch at all(?) get her a Masterline kid 's rope.
    SR SL Judge & Driver (“a driver who is super late on the wheel and is out of sync”)
  • InboardfixInboardfix Posts: 112 Baller
    @drago, you're right they don't stretch but what 6 year old loads the line? There is not a better teaching tool for a lightweight skier. This wasn't my idea at all but rather Brenda Baldwin's and it works great. All my children learned w/spectra including my current 6 year old who is running the inner buoys on combos.

Once they start running the course in the upper 20 mph range we make the switch to a junior line. Spectra will make skiing more fun for the 6 year old because the line isn't dragging in the water.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file