1 Ball PB

Has anyone ever tried this? How short do you think you could go? It must be a legit 1 ball and back to the wakes.
'Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.'' Boat 2005 Nautique 196 6L ZO - Ski - KD Platinum

Comments

• GAJ0004GAJ0004 Posts: 1,077 Baller
    edited June 2013
    Australia's Geoff Carrington tried that with 43 off at a time where there were probably only 10 people in the world who could run 39 off.
    He wrote an article in Waterski magazine about it at the time.
    Gary Janzig Streetsboro Ohio, skis at Lake Latonka, Mercer Pennsylvania slalom,trick,kneeboard,barefoot
  • Texas6Texas6 Posts: 2,189
    I was going to try for 45 off but I realized there was no rope capable of supporting my endeavor....I was going to try a 43 but my rope only goes to 39.5...bummer, I think I would have been great at it....
    Daryn Dean - Lakes of Katy, TX
    ***Robbed out of Hundreds of Panda Worthy Posts***
  • ozskiozski Posts: 1,645
    "I was going to try for 45 off but I realized there was no rope capable of supporting my endeavor....I was going to try a 43 but my rope only goes to 39.5...bummer, I think I would have been great at it...."
    Video please :)
    'Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.'' Boat 2005 Nautique 196 6L ZO - Ski - KD Platinum

• swc5150swc5150 Posts: 2,204 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    I tried 39.5 just for kicks. Barely made one, and it almost ended in a disaster. Also tried just free skiing at -41 last year. That didn't go so well either. If one wasn't a skier, it would impossible to describe how removing 4 1/2, or 6 feet of string creates a universe of difference.
    Scott Calderwood
  • WishWish Posts: 7,714 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    So in Oct of 2007 I ran a legit 39 (34mph) in practice. First and last time that ever happened. Have no conceivable idea how that happened other then pure luck. Was so excited to shorten to 41. Then realized I did not have a 41 off loop. So we made one on the spot while still in the water. Im thinking it was shorter then 41 cause the next day when I reworded myself by buying a rope with that loop, that section looked way shorter then what we made. I did get the ski outside of one ball on the homemade loop and scrambled back to the wake. Never did use that loop on the new rope.
    >>> 11.25..a different kettle of fish. <<<
    Texas6
  • Texas6Texas6 Posts: 2,189
    For the record @ozski, I am kidding. I wouldn't get outside one at 41 unless the boat driver was driving outside the right side of the boat guides:)
    Daryn Dean - Lakes of Katy, TX
    ***Robbed out of Hundreds of Panda Worthy Posts***
  • Than_BoganThan_Bogan Posts: 6,346 Mega Baller
    Years ago when Jamie B set the WR, I was still a 36 mph skier and I became curious about -41. At the time I could run -32 a fair amount, but I don't think I had ever completed -35 (possibly one time in 2002 if this was after that).

After two attempts, my best score at -41 was ...

I think today I understand a little more about extreme shortline geometry and I *might* be able to get 1/2 or 1 on occasion.

But I was kinda shocked that as a fairly serious tournament skier I couldn't even figure out how to get my ski outside the first buoy!
    Nathaniel Bogan -- GUT Padawan

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file