Trouble skiing at the ball or not commiting to the turn.

KcSwerverKcSwerver Posts: 389 Baller
I feel like I shouldn't be this late out of the ball. Any tips for not skiing to the ball or being able to commit to the turn to backside the ball. First video is at 34, -22. Second is at 36, -22. Thanks so much!

Comments

• mwetskiermwetskier Posts: 1,329 Mega Baller
    edited July 2013
    your skiing just wide enough to squeak around the ball so theres no way for you to backside it. at your widest reach point which is the apex of the turn your already too far down course and too close to the ball. watch this video below of chris rossi where he apexes well up course of the ball at 32 off and thats 10 feet less rope than you have.

you need to carry your angle out bound longer and reduce the delay between the end of your pull and the beginning of your turn. brooks wilson once told a group of us there are only two positions in slalom and those are pulling and turning. so when your done pulling start turning with no delay. if you turn in side or up course of the ball then make your pull longer or work at staying out bound longer. but change the point where you decide the ball is the right distance away to start turning and make a mental commitment to initiate the turn earlier than is currently comfortable for you.
    Skoot1123
  • gregygregy Posts: 2,498 Mega Baller
    Your actually doing quite well, you've obviously got some athletic ability, but you want to get get better.

Your problem is all body positioning. Correct that and other things will start to fall into place. It starts at the glide to the gates. Freeze the 34mph video around .017 your can see your almost in a setting position with most of your weight on the back of the ski. You should neverbe in this position. You start you lean for the gates in a decent position, but as you go to glide your butt goes way back. Bring your hips forward. I like what Terry Winter told Brady:

First. To always always stand tall. Second, he said that I should look down at my toes and make them disappear by dropping my front knee over them....while standing tall. Third, simply lean into the wake and not turn, and when I leaned, to make sure I was doing 1 and 2.

You'll actually want to push your hips in toward the wake and forward toward the one ball at the same time.

When you do this your ski will make a nice carving turn into the gates. You get better angle and resulting in more width. You'll be more stack in the pulling phase because you started your turn with your hips forward.

Ok you've pullout for the gates, your standing tall, hips forward, knees covering your feet (rear leg straight as Horton likes), at this point keep your shoulders facing down course, don't let your upper body face the boat. You may have to push the handle in front to you some to do this. Then do the hips in thing. When you do it right you'll be surprised at the angle and speed you'll get.

Then try to carry this same body positioning and turn throughout the course. As well as your doing now I think you could make some significant gains as you improve your body position.
    Skoot1123