Beginner video

dmolinedmoline Posts: 4 Baller
A bit reluctant to post this, but I am hoping to get some help. I am new to skiing the course but really want to improve...it is too much fun! Here are a couple of videos:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=plcp&v=EGbeBo2yv4Y

http://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=plcp&v=pdPPUQ6Tlhg

One is on the course, the other is free skiing (forgot to turn off the gopro so ignore the extra footage). The course video is my second day ever skiing buoys, and I am thinking way too much. I really struggle with riding the tail, especially on my off side. On my off side I feel like I get no angle whatsoever and it is very hard for me to get in a stacked position since i get pulled forward so quickly out of the turn. I feel a bit more comfortable on my on side, and I feel like it is because I found a good "trigger" heading into the turn -- I try to stand tall and drop my left hip into the ball...seems to help me get more angle and locked into a better leverage position. When I try the same on my off side I end up on the tail of my ski (big time) for some reason.

Maybe this isn't the right way to approach it, I don't know. But as you can see on the course vid, my gate and off side turns are terrible. In the free skiing video I am trying to keep my weight forward/stand tall on my off side, but still struggle locking in anything that resembles a stacked position.

Is there anything should focus on when initiating my gate/ off side turns to get more angle? I know I need to get stacked much better, but find it easier when I have more angle. This could be the wrong approach entirely...I am open to anything.

FWIW, I am 210 lbs on a Radar Senate 69 using reflex with RTP. My front binding is 30 5/8, which is 1/8 forward of stock...this is as far back as my plate goes. I am open to modifying this, but for me it is like throwing darts blindfolded. I think I need technique work before getting too heavy into tweaking setup.

Any advice is greatly appreciate....thanks!
Than_Bogan

Comments

• webbdawg99webbdawg99 Posts: 1,067 Mega Baller
    edited July 2013
    Took a quick look at your video. Its really difficult to see what's going on b/c of lighting and the camera shot being so wide. Lighting is better in the second one, but still too far away to see anything of value. I know you can't zoom w/ a GoPro, so see if you can find a camera that has that feature.
  • gregygregy Posts: 2,547 Mega Baller
    @dmoline #1, keep practicing. There's a lot of info on here about standing tall and how to achieve it. Keep working on that. Ankles flexed, knees over feet, hips forward, Rear leg straighter than front. When dropping the hip try not to drop it back. It should be more toward the wake and forward. Try doing some pull out to glide on both sides. When you get to glide stand as tall as you can with your knees and hips forward then move your hips inside and forward in the direction you want to go this will help you get the fell for the movement.

Also, if you haven't seen Seth Stisher drills on youtube look those up. He has a lot of good ideas to help beginners improve.
  • REEREE Posts: 4 Baller
    This may sound dumb but how do you hold the rope with one hand? I use both and it still feels like it will get ripped out of my hands what is the trick?
    @REE during the full phase (from turn through wakes) you want both hands on the handle, the tension in the rope should be the highest during this phase. If you generated sufficient speed in the pull phase as you go out past the wakes toward the turn you should have very little tension in the rope. You don't want to pull past the second wake. Hope that helps.
  • REEREE Posts: 4 Baller
    @gregy Wow man that really makes more sense I'm skiing on an older model HO ski which is wider up front then the rear. I have been slolaming since I was 16 im 26 about to be 27 and I feel like I'm stuck in a rut in trying to advance. Next year I am thinking about buying a double boot ski to feel more comfortable any suggestions?
    @REE the new skis are really nice. Radar and HO make some nice intermediate skis. Radar Senate is popular. Check out www.ski-it-again.com there's some smoking deals on used skis. Best way to advance is to get professional coaching. Check and see if there or schools or clubs in your area. Its time and money well spent.
    Than_Bogan
  • dmolinedmoline Posts: 4 Baller
    Thanks @gregy that helps a lot...I definitely tend to fall back Focusing on dropping the hip forward helped me run -22/32mph for the first time! I felt like I had much more of the ski engaged through the turn and much better angle into the pull. Still lots of work to do, but progress is always encouraging.

@REE I am learning as well and have nothing but good things to say about a Radar Senate. Great price for a ski that is forgiving and will take you well into the course. I tried a double boot, but feel much more comfortable in my Reflex/RTP setup. I say give double boots a try, but don't think that will make you a better skier -- go with what is most comfortable.
    Than_Bogan

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file