Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Holding my edge through the wake

WaternutWaternut Posts: 1,511 Crazy Baller
So I've been trying incredibly hard over the past 10 sets or so to really focus on keeping my edge through the wake. Some days it works really well and others, I can't do it no matter how hard I try and the ski bounces all over the place. I'm not backing off at all so it's not a fear thing at all. In fact, there are times when I get behind and really try to pull harder and longer through the wake only to hear the boat crew tell me that I had changed edges before even hitting the wake which is certainly not what it feels like to me.

On average, I can hold edge better on my off side. Granted my form isn't as good on my off side but at least I can keep some edge through the wakes.

Do I need to focus more on easing into my edge? Is it possible to pull too hard out of the buoy?

Comments

• A_BA_B Posts: 4,147 Mega Baller
    Start closer and turn closer to the wakes and gradually widen up your pulls as you progress.
    Focus on arms straight, handle close to hip and elbows on sides of your vest.
    If you let the handle up or bend your arms, try again.
    Than_Bogan
  • alex38alex38 Posts: 481 Baller
    Your goal or focus of getting thru the wakes is good, right where you want to be. Don't let it consume you to the point it's not fun (kinda rule 1 for me).

Many tips/ideas/terms:
    There are a couple skiers here that will direct you to a document called "leverage position" its for skiers right where you're at (but helpful for everyone).

There are also a bunch of threads here on "stacked position" which is more of what you need to know and execute.

Throw up some video

When i feel sloppy behind the boat i like to watch video of Jon Travers, Austin Abel, and @horton. Very pronounced "stack" if you will.

there IS a position off the ball and behind the boat that is optimal, super efficient, and creates mad space in front of the next buoy.

My lame description of it would be hips way up with arms straight shoulders back, I'll feel connected with my fingers but will feel the boat in my lats and core, when I achieve this (which is seldom) i can almost relax here or be patient thru the wakes, the "stacked' or 'leverage" position is super stable and seldom allows compromise to postion, when I get it right i can also easily add angle (if needed).

Good luck have fun.
  • Than_BoganThan_Bogan Posts: 6,476 Mega Baller
    It's definitely possible to go too hard out of the buoy, especially when still working on getting stacked. I recommend you allow yourself to ease out of the buoy, focusing only on position but not on hard lean. Then progressively add lean and line tension until at least the first wake; finally hold that through "landing" off the second wake. (Caveat: Technically you'll begin to edge change directly behind the boat, but for may people [including me] if we do that on purpose we'll start WAY too soon.)

As you get more advanced, you may be able to get on it off the buoy a little sooner. But until you are pretty expert at the leverage position, getting on it too soon almost always indirectly results in getting off of it too soon as well, and the latter is a serious problem.

Maybe @ShaneH can remind us of a Rossi quote about the edge change that I think is relevant here. To use my own words, one reasonable definition of the start of the edge change is the point where the pressure is maximized. (I.e. once the pressure on the ski starts to go down, you have begun the process of changing edges.) So if you maximize that pressure too soon, you are necessarily beginning your edge change too soon.

Man that was a lot of words for a simple point. Oh well, I'm sure everyone is used to that from me. Hope it helps!
    Nathaniel Bogan -- GUT Padawan
    Waternutalex38
  • DavidPDavidP Posts: 175 Baller
    Focusing on "landing on edge" after coming off the second wake helps me hold my edge. You should be able to feel the difference between landing flat vs on edge.
    David Panneton - LakePort Water Ski Club, formerly known as Muddy Waters
  • WaternutWaternut Posts: 1,511 Crazy Baller
    @than_bogan That actually makes a lot of sense and explains a lot of why when I pull even harder out of the buoy to catch up, it can make the problem even worse. BTW...lots of words are good IMO. It helps people like me who don't understand get a clearer picture.