Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Radar fin shape

ktm300ktm300 Posts: 408 Solid Baller
edited June 2007 in Skis Fins Bindings
I am riding the gold fin.  The back is more squared off than the std 5 hole.  I am picking up the load sooner than I like out of my onside as if there is not much slide in the ski.  I filed the square into more of a round and it feels better.  Is rounder better for what ails me?  Is the gold fin the same as the AMF?  Even the std. 5 hole has some squareness to the back.  Is there a rounder shape out there.  My perception is that the ski tracks so well that I need less tracking from the fin.  Thanks for your suggestions.

Comments

• HortonHorton Posts: 28,977 Administrator
    edited June 2007
    <p>
    KTM,
    </p>
    <p>
    Shape is important but if I were you I would try to get the ski really close with one fin or the other and then try the other shape. Tweaking on shape is a long long road.
    </p>
    <p>
    As you are changing the shape you are moving the hydro- center of pressure. . . . you could do almost the same thing by moving DFT and length. I guess if you find a good setting then great but I think you are doing it the hard way.
    </p>
    <p>
    The AMF is totally different and nobody uses it anymore.
    </p>
    <p>
    This is a very interesting subject but I hate to talk theoretically and then have you go screw up your skiing . . .
    </p>

Support BallOfSpray by supporting the companies that support BallOfSpray

Connelly  ★ Basta ★ DBSkis ★ Denali ★ Goode ★ Hobe Lake ★ HO Syndicate ★ MasterCraft

Masterline ★ McClintock's ★ Performance Ski and Surf ★ Reflex ★ Radar 

Stella Blue ★ Stokes ★ World WaterSki League

• ktm300ktm300 Posts: 408 Solid Baller
    The fin stuff cracks me up.  I was under adult supervision when I filed the back of the gold fin.  It helped.  Put the std 5 hole in last night and it helped a little more.  Ran the slot fin a couple a sets and it tracked so hard that it wore me out.  I have moved the boots around too. The tracking that I get with the square back feel great offside and the round feels better onside.  The funny part is that the buoy count is about the same.  You are right, it is time to pick one and start skiing. 
    I hate to send you down this path but if you wanted to buy demo/ R&D CarbonFins to play with I could totally hook you up. Grind on them . . .  drill holes . . .  taper the leading edges . . . paint stick figures on it . . . what ever

Connelly  ★ Basta ★ DBSkis ★ Denali ★ Goode ★ Hobe Lake ★ HO Syndicate ★ MasterCraft

• skidawgskidawg Posts: 3,325 Mega Baller
    ktm 300,  if you ski 34 mph or slower, the carbon fin is the bomb!
    Mr. Mom is Horton's favorite movie!
  • Ed_ObermeierEd_Obermeier Posts: 1,340 Crazy Baller
    <p>
    So which fin is recommended for the MPD, or are you developing a new one specifically for this ski?
    </p>
    <p>
     Ed
    </p>
    Ed Obermeier - owner, EZ-Slalom Course Systems
    www.ez-slalom.com
    [Deleted User]
    I am not makeing the Radar shape. My D3 Maurader shape is very close to the Radar gold shape. I would think that you would want to try the 106 or 116 materails. You guys know I will work with you . . .

• Director DarwinDirector Darwin Posts: 381 Baller
    I heard from a reputable source that Radar has pulled all MPD's from the shelf and will be revamping the design for '08.  There are 74 MPD's in the marketplace.  Chris Sullivan's non-compete w/ HO has expired and he is on board w/ Radar working on the shape and set up.  If you are beating your head against a wall trying to get the ski figured out, you are one of many.   Somehow, I remember Herb and his gang doing this when they ran HO.  Meet the new boss - same as the old boss. 
  • Old MS AccoutOld MS Accout Posts: 2,114 Baller
    With Sully and Andy working on the design, you should see a pretty good ski. But isnt the current radar a second generation design? I know the ski from the 06 test was changed into the new design. I really liked the Radar MPD in 07. Of all the skis that I have tried it is the most stable of the lot. I wonder what they will come up with. JD, I think they went through all that with OB to back in the day.   
    Looks like you made it off probation  MS, congrats.  I wonder who is next!
    edited June 2007
    <p class="MsoNormal">
    <font face="Times New Roman" size="3" color="#000000">My source at Radar (code name <font color="#008000"><strong><em>Papa Smurf</em></strong></font>) told me the following:</font>
    </p>
    <font face="Times New Roman" size="3" color="#000000"> </font>
    <blockquote class="MsoNormal">
    <span style="font-size: 10pt; font-family: Verdana"><font color="#000000">Radar is <em><strong>“definitely not pulling any skis off of shelves and there are way more than

70 something out there. We've made no changes to the mold shape whatsoever

since the first ones were made with Jobe graphics. Same shape exactly."</strong></em></font></span>
    </blockquote>
    <p>

</p>

• Director DarwinDirector Darwin Posts: 381 Baller
    <p>
    <span style="font-size: 10.5pt; color: #062971; font-family: 'Trebuchet MS'">OK - I'll buy some of that.  My person may have some of his some of his facts misplaced but you have to admit that the MPD has been a bit of an anomaly since its introduction.</span>
    </p>
    <span style="font-size: 10.5pt; color: #062971; font-family: 'Trebuchet MS'">However, don't tell those of us who saw the Jobe MPD at the 2006 test that it was the same ski as the Radar MPD at the 2007 tests.   The "shape" may be the same but that's like saying the Goode 9100 and the 9700 were the same "shape".  They may be but they are two distinctly different skis.</span>
    <p>

</p>
    <p class="MsoNormal">
    <font face="Times New Roman" size="3" color="#000000">The flex was clearly different but what ski company is not constantly tweaking on flex?</font>
    </p>

<p>
    My theory on all the new skis is that they are ALL a bit hard to set up. I rode the Radar at the 07 Test (as admin my comments & scores did not count) and I freak'n loved it (Matched PB first set out!). The noteworthy part is that I set it up in the dark and did not get to stock #s. I was in a hurry to ski before dark so I just jammed the fin in and got to roughly logical #s. Everyone in the test used the stock #s we had from the factory. I am not saying that the stock #s are bad but I am saying that on a fluke I pulled random #s out of my trailing orifice and really loved the ski. The real test team used the stock #s and none of them liked the ski nearly as much as I did. Sadly I stumbled on the other settings on the last day so I never got anyone else to try them.
    </p>
    <p>
    On the other hand everyone at the Test also tried the Monza with stock #s and was lukewarm but MS had his proven #s there and a lot of skiers tried the ski with his #s. With MS's #s everyone but Stinky liked the ski a lot better.
    </p>
    <p>
    I am playing with the Fisher at the moment and the ski is clearly awesome but I do not know if I am ever going to set it up to my liking. I mean to say I really like the ski but will most likely get back on my Sixam SS so I do not have to spend weeks trying to figure the Fisher out.
    </p>
    <p>
    If I could get a Radar just like the one from the 07 test I would sell all my other skis . . . .
    </p>
    <p>
    This is why I am always going on about defining measure methods.
    </p>
    <p>
    <a href="http://waterskitests.com/2007/HighEnd/07FinMethods.htm">http://waterskitests.com/2007/HighEnd/07FinMethods.htm</a>
    </p>
    <p>
    <a href="http://ballofspray.com/vanillaforum/comments.php?DiscussionID=50&page=1#Item_11">http://ballofspray.com/vanillaforum/comments.php?DiscussionID=50&page=1#Item_11</a>
    </p>

Thanks Dawg. It was me and Paris sitting there with monitors around our ankels.  
    MS, u going to the ranch at the end of june?
  • Ed_ObermeierEd_Obermeier Posts: 1,340 Crazy Baller
    <p>
    So John, what were those numbers, did you save them?  I'm pretty much at stock numbers (the way it came out of Andy's hands and out of the box anyway)and it's all good so far.  Ran the first 32 I tried on it, which was a too rare event last season.
    </p>
    <p>
     BTW I haven't beaten my head against the wall much yet, just let it do it's thing and it rocks!  Of course I'm just a 22 - 35 off skier too...
    </p>
    <p>
     Ed
    </p>
    Ed Obermeier - owner, EZ-Slalom Course Systems
    www.ez-slalom.com
    [Deleted User]
    <p>
    Dawg,
    </p>
    <p>
    I will be there. I just made the plan today. I had to wait to see if my wife could make it. Are you going? 
    </p>
    Si' with bells on
    The Shiner Bocks are on me.
  • 35 in the bag35 in the bag Posts: 76 Baller
    <p>
    John ..........!!! ...Please oh pretty please oh pretty pretty please............ what were those accidental #'s.........Never know when it might be a majic bullet!!!
    </p>
    <p>

</p>
    <p>
    Thanks John M
    </p>
    John M
    I used to think that ski tuning might be more complicated than Rocket Science.........
    Now I know it is..
    I will post Trent F Radar numbers on Sunday if I remember them.
    <p>
    The numbers that I pulled out of my a$$ when I rode and Loved loved loved the Radar are as follows:
    </p>
    <p>
    .8255 Stem
    </p>
    <p>
    </p>
    <p>
    6.8435 tips
    </p>
    <p>

</p>

I lost my numbers from Trent. I will attemt to get them again.  
    My 68" MPD is on the way. I am a ski slut.

• DaveDDaveD Posts: 881 Crazy Baller
    <p>
    Ski slut or ski glut?  How many skis have you skied on in the last 4 years and how many of those were more than just demos? 
    </p>
    lost count. Seems like we have that thread around here somewhere . . .

• DaveDDaveD Posts: 881 Crazy Baller
    I'm starting to think you suffer from A.D.D.  On the other hand, I'm kind of jealous you have the opportunity to try all of these other skis.