Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ROY G. BIV

GloersenGloersen Posts: 952 Crazy Baller
The spectral array of the rope eluded me until this moment...

Skoot1123andjulesHortonA_BTexas6

Comments

• klindyklindy Posts: 2,346 Mega Baller
    Probably just like the clothes closet of more than a handful of the skiers here (or their fashion sensible spouse/significant other!)
    Keith Lindemulder
    AWSA Vice President
    AWSA Southern Region EVP
  • FatrollFatroll Posts: 233 Solid Baller
    Beautiful ski site!!
    2016 Ski Nautique 200 OB 2016 Radar Vapor 69.5"
    Wish they had a bonus buoy count for increased body fat index
  • WishWish Posts: 7,920 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    edited October 2013
    I love that site! I PBed last yr there and was within a half buoy of that a few weeks ago.
    >>> 11.25..a different kettle of fish. <<<
  • HortonHorton Posts: 28,516 Administrator
    what is the deal with the title of this thread?

Support BallOfSpray by supporting the companies that support BallOfSpray

Connelly ★  DBSkis ★ Denali ★ Goode ★ Hobe Lake ★ MasterCraft ★ McClintock's

Masterline ★ Performance Ski and Surf ★ Reflex ★ Radar ★ Stokes

• gregygregy Posts: 2,583 Mega Baller
    @horton Roy G. Biv is an acronym for the sequence of hues commonly described as making up a rainbow: Red, Orange, Yellow, Green, Blue, Indigo and Violet.
  • GloersenGloersen Posts: 952 Crazy Baller
    Colors of the visible spectrum....the real ? is 10.75m violet?
    learn something new everyday

• WaternutWaternut Posts: 1,511 Crazy Baller
    Wow I thought I was geeky enough to know these computer slangs like "Roy G Biv"...guess there is hope for me yet!
  • klindyklindy Posts: 2,346 Mega Baller
    Anyone in the retail clothing business knows this acronym too.
    Keith Lindemulder
    AWSA Vice President
    AWSA Southern Region EVP
  • BlueSkiBlueSki Posts: 715 Crazy Baller
    This video will never let you forget. Consider yourself warned that this will damage brain cells.

A_B
  • estromestrom Posts: 512 Baller
    Good grief, Roy G Biv is taught at what, the 5th grade level?! And that is an awesome looking site. Where is that?
  • Than_BoganThan_Bogan Posts: 6,543 Mega Baller
    I think of Roy G. Biv as a 1st grade kinda thing. BUT I have to admit that I failed to notice the ski rope colors were in that same rainbow order until a guest pointed it out one day about a decade ago: "I like your rainbow rope" was all she said, and all of a sudden I realized I had been VERY unobservant for about 20 years...
    Nathaniel Bogan -- GUT Padawan
  • Than_BoganThan_Bogan Posts: 6,543 Mega Baller
    @Gloerson I assume the -39 on my rope is in fact UV, just like the 15' section it never had would have been IR...
    Nathaniel Bogan -- GUT Padawan
  • GloersenGloersen Posts: 952 Crazy Baller
    @Than_Bogan concur -39 UVA; irrelevant to me, won't be needing Wood's glass for a while. Relatively; -41 UVB, -43 UVC.
    Than_Bogan
  • ZmanZman Posts: 1,552 Crazy Baller
    Wow - did the inventors of the loop colors know all this? It works too in that red is the least energy light color, progressing to more energy as you move through the ROY G BIV. (That's why red light filters out first as you go deeper under water).
    So, Red rope, least energy to ski, and so forth....
  • A_BA_B Posts: 4,206 Mega Baller
    @Horton, you could give yourself a Panda...
    @ab I am the panda

A_B
  • EdbrazilEdbrazil Posts: 1,396 Historical Baller
    I may be the one responsible for the order of colors in the slalom towrope. I'd have to refer to the old Rulebooks, that would have been circa 1970. Yet another task to do when I "Snowbird" it to Florida this Winter.
    I was initially appointed to the Technical Committee in 1966, later was Chairman, and on it for quite a few years. Initially, circa 1964, the only tournament rope approved was the AWSA black & white. I don't recall the exact years, or when it went from 8-strand to 12-strand, and then to being marketed by other suppliers, and coming out with colored shortenings, which had no standard initially.
    I thought about the colors of the rainbow, which at that time I knew as:
    Red, Orange, Yellow, Green, Blue, and Purple. At that time, the towline for AWSA was dimensioned in feet, not metric, and the shorter shortline loops were rare. Didn't think of anything beyond purple initially.
  • GAJ0004GAJ0004 Posts: 1,095 Baller
    If my memory serves me, Microwave, radio, infrared, red, orange, yellow, green, blue, indigo, violet, ultra violet, x-ray, gamma ray... The electromagnetic spectrum from lowest to highest frequency.
    Gary Janzig Streetsboro Ohio, skis at Lake Latonka, Mercer Pennsylvania slalom,trick,kneeboard,barefoot