Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How much gas do skiers use?

IheartJumpIheartJump Posts: 41 Baller
edited December 2013 in Boat Talk
According to this article american gas consumption / person is way out of control. I'm personally pushing about 600 gallons myself and this is before i bought a boat (so mostly car gas, but i expect it to skyrocket now). where do you fall?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/12/16/us-gas-consumption_n_4454472.html?ncid=txtlnkusaolp00000592

How much gas do skiers use? 62 votes

<300 gallons / person
14%
jimbrakeMattPcamjamraynHugh NicholsWishOTFFrankSIan Joda 9 votes
300-500
11%
GAJ0004Lieutenant DanjayskidbskiRazorRoss3BCMDefectiveDave 7 votes
500-700
17%
skidawgChuck_DickeyCamslalom frogBulldogTimWWIheartJumphammerskiZmanFatrollBrady 11 votes
>700 gallons a year
56%
HortonDWskibugblockLZywicki1Ham_WallaceRichardDoaneBruce_ButterfieldShortenitForrestGumpMrJonesJohnNDeanoskiskiinxsralNot_The_Pugkfennell6ballsDustyskier2788 35 votes

Comments

• IheartJumpIheartJump Posts: 41 Baller
    500-700
    didn't mean to add the blank option
  • oldjeepoldjeep Posts: 3,793 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    edited December 2013
    Just for my truck alone it is well over 1000 gallons a year, probably closer to 1300. If you add on the other 3 cars in the household the boat and snowmobiles then we are likely close to 2000.
    Chuck P
    Not a mechanic but I play one at home
  • Chef23Chef23 Posts: 6,063 Mega Baller
    I have to admit I have no idea.
    Mark Shaffer
  • thagerthager Posts: 5,182 Mega Baller
    No idea.
    Stir vigorously then leave!
  • IheartJumpIheartJump Posts: 41 Baller
    edited December 2013
    500-700
    sorry for the left leaning source... one of my buddies emailed it to me for a laugh saying our last houseboat trip bill was 400 gallons over three days.
  • A_BA_B Posts: 4,300 Mega Baller
    I would never put that anywhere in writing. My wife thinks a tank of gas lasts a long time.
    WishBRYBulldog
  • JohnNJohnN Posts: 129 Baller
    >700 gallons a year
    You had to make us think about it, didn't you? 30000+ miles/year at maybe an average of 20mpg (between the Volvo, F350 and Beetle), plus gas for 100 hours on the boat, plus a handful of tanks in the Chevy, probably between 1500 and 2000. Of course that supports the 4 of us, and includes a fair amount of carpooling. The sheer amount of seat time boggles the mind...
  • PBDPBD Posts: 190 Baller
    Gas guzzling horror show?

Give me a fricken break.

Figures don't lie but lairs figure.
    crashmanWaternutBulldog
  • MattPMattP Posts: 6,249 Mega Baller
    <300 gallons / person
    1gal/set. 150 sets this season=150 gal. Used.
  • WaternutWaternut Posts: 1,511 Crazy Baller
    edited December 2013
    >700 gallons a year
    300-400 gallons a year it's pretty mild if you ask me. I used over 1000 gallons in my truck. I figure about 120 gallons skiing the course and then another 420 gallons in my own boat. Granted the 420 in my boat wasn't all used by me. Last year I spent $4700 on gas according to my credit card and that doesn't count time skiing on a slalom course.

None of that includes a work trip to Japan and Israel or any other form of public transportation...not sure how much fuel my butt burns on those things.
  • crashmancrashman Posts: 722 Crazy Baller
    As if burning gas is a bad thing. Show me a V8 truck pulling a V8 boat and I will show you a happy man. My horror show happens this time of year when I'm burning wood instead of gas.
    slalom addiction triggering irrational behavior
    jwr
  • The_MSThe_MS Posts: 6,131 Member of the BallOfSpray Hall Of Fame
    A bunch
    Shut up and ski
    Wish
  • E_TE_T Posts: 625 extraterrestrial trouble maker
    @BMG73 i am right there with you
    E.T. phone home!
    I like reese's pieces

"Leave nothing on the dock"~AM
  • ForrestGumpForrestGump Posts: 6,202
    >700 gallons a year
    I just looked on my truck, which is one year old, and I've used 1470 gallons.
    Shane "Crash" Hill

• 6balls6balls Posts: 5,621 Mega Baller
    >700 gallons a year
    Let's just say my water based fuel burn pales vs. my total. With two auto's and the number of miles we put on per year, factoring in fuel mileage we are at a good 2000 gallons. I also put about 150 hours on the combo of two boats and if I'm burning 6 an hour which I think is conservative that's another 900. I also dump 15-20 gallons/hour thru the airplane I'm lucky to fly for 50 hours/yr for another 1000 gallons. Let's call it 4000.
    Dave Ross--die cancer die
  • MISkierMISkier Posts: 3,153 Mega Baller
    edited December 2013
    >700 gallons a year
    I use more than 700 gallons during just the ski season (mid-April to late October) alone. That is across two trucks and the boat. Boat hours are about 50 per year. At about 4.5 gallons per hour, that is 225 gallons right there. That does not count gas used in the boats of my ski partners during the season or the boat at our club's weekly ski league.

My gas usage in the truck is high. I drive 100 miles one-way to ski at least twice a week during June - Sept.
    The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.
  • MrJonesMrJones Posts: 1,808 Mega Baller
    >700 gallons a year
    Truck alone is prob 1100-1200. Add boat and lawn mower (lotsa grass) and I am burning 1500 or so.
  • BulldogBulldog Posts: 1,035 Crazy Baller
    edited December 2013
    500-700
    My favorite saying is "someone is having a real problem today" the fact you have a boat or access to one to burn gas in is a beautiful thing! Things like cancer or a child or spouse dying is a real problem - not burning too much gas is a NOT A REAL problem.
    Mike Loeffler - "Someone somewhere is having a real problem today...My bad skiing is NOT one of them"
  • Bruce_ButterfieldBruce_Butterfield Posts: 1,891 Member of the BallOfSpray Hall Of Fame
    >700 gallons a year
    About 800 gal for the boat, plus around 2500 gal for 3 vehicles at ~60k miles/yr total.

Total gas/diesel bill was about $12k for the year.
    I'm Ancient. WTH do I know?
  • RichardDoaneRichardDoane Posts: 4,577 Mega Baller
    >700 gallons a year
    worth every penny
    BallOfSpray Pacific Northwest Vice President of Event Management, aka "Zappy"
  • HortonHorton Posts: 30,396 Administrator
    >700 gallons a year
    My fuel bill so far so far for the year is about $4,500. That is truck and boat gas. Next year will be more as I will have my own boat and not doing any "trade" for rides.

Support BallOfSpray by supporting the companies that support BallOfSpray

Barts★ Connelly ★ DBSkis ★ Denali ★ Goode ★ Follow ★ Hobe Lake ★ MasterCraft ★ Masterline ★ 

McClintock's ★ Performance Ski and Surf ★ Reflex ★ Radar ★ Rodics OffCourseStokes

• GOODESkierGOODESkier Posts: 1,107 Crazy Baller
    >700 gallons a year
    I say "Burn it while it's cheap!"

Between my 500+ a year in the boat, family runs 4 snowmobiles (1 turbo that likes it's gas) plus a not so economical Tundra to get me to the snow. Adding snow skiing to the mix this year, so MORE GAS to go to the mountain! Guessing way over 1500 gallons, but who's counting????

My balance is paddle boarding....... yeah that is what I call balance!
    2003 Nautique 196 LE Star Gazer & ZBox - GOODE NANO OneXT 66.75" - Powershell 5 (LFF) - Tournament PB: 2 Balls @ 39.5' OFF (34.2 MPH) on 7/18/2015 at BIG DAWG BROHO!
  • BRYBRY Posts: 585 Crazy Baller
    >700 gallons a year
    With my Jetta TDI I get 36MPG real average (44 or so @ ~70 on long highway trips), wife's turbo 4cylinder get's 27 real average (surprisingly good) and 7.3L F350 diesel about 16 but don't drive it much anymore. We don't rack up crazy miles so for regular transportation we don't use that much.
    Then there's the boat. Now its on a lift in the back yard and its always summer in FL we use it a lot more. Rough calculations seem to show it takes us from quite a bit under 700 to quite a bit over 700. But not going to figure it out, don't want to know. Just keep pouring the liquid gold into it and taking another set. If fuel got crazy expensive think it would get the gas, we have bikes and FL is really flat.
  • thor_64thor_64 Posts: 21 Baller
    I had a running joke w/ co-worker I had a couple years back........there was a small middle eastern country that depended on my skiing & camping every weekend to support their family and it was my duty to keep their lifestyle at the level they had become accustom to!
    Hector Matthys
  • SkiJaySkiJay Posts: 2,314 Mega Baller
    >700 gallons a year
    For about a year, my lame attempt to balance my carbon footprint from water skiing, racing cars, and joy riding around in our supercharged Viper was to drive a SmartCar as my daily driver. It made about as much sense as rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic.
    www.FinWhispering.com ... Your ski should be your dance partner, not a wrestling opponent
    BulldogHorton
  • XR6HurricaneXR6Hurricane Posts: 328 Baller
    I'm way under the lowest option in the poll. 125-200 gallons in the boat depending on the year, and that includes a lot of joy riding too. About 700 in the truck and 50-75 in the bike.
  • DefectiveDaveDefectiveDave Posts: 479 Solid Baller
    300-500
    I'm an underachiever. I didn't have a boat for most of this year, I live 8 minutes from work, and my wife works at the same location so we carpool. Combined we used about 300 gallons this year in vehicles and the boat. Living close to work really keeps the miles down considering it's where we go 70-80% of the time we go anywhere.

Next year I plan to fix that though and burn lots of gas on the lake. :-D
  • chris_loganchris_logan Posts: 360 Crazy Baller
    >700 gallons a year
    I track my fuel consumption and purchased over 1,500 gallons over the past 12 months - and that was just in my car. I don't track fuel consumption in my truck (too depressing) and haven't brought myself to admit the amount of boat gas I buy.
    Always looking for a pull... Will you be my boatdriver?
    MattP