Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Who followed Parrish, Larkin and other and switched from one hand gate to two hand?

ralral Posts: 1,790 Mega Baller
edited December 2013 in Technique & Theory
THIS IS THE POLL TO USE...
Rodrigo Andai

Who followed Parrish, Larkin and other and switched from one hand gate to two hand? 69 votes

I did
40%
auskierChuck_DickeyAlberto SoaresBruce_Butterfieldjrsjimbrakeslalom frogh2oskihogexpressskinutralski4xtcjayskiMickeyThompsonThe_MSDaveLemonsampacdanaussiemcbkreiswtrski6 28 votes
I never drank the one hand gate kool-aid, always two hand
56%
skiepA_BChef23Cam[Deleted User]John BrooksForrestGumpKelvin9400AliMattPDanEGarndave2ball[Deleted User]Tom Andersonskiboynyswc5150JackQ6balls 39 votes
What are you talking about? Just switched to one handed
2%
HortonSteven_Haines 2 votes

Comments

• ralral Posts: 1,790 Mega Baller
    I did
    After the Worlds, we got Aaron Larkin as a guest coach in our lake. After my first two passes, the said his professional opinion was that the single change that would increase my skiing level would be to switch from to a two hand gate. Did it, after more than 7 years with the one hand gate. Struggled for one week, but got a far better and consistent gate and 1.

I heard a theory on two hand gate and slow/glided one hand gate being better for ZO boats than the "MB" style one hand.
    Rodrigo Andai
  • HortonHorton Posts: 29,711 Administrator
    missing some options. I have been 1 hand for a long time and not changing

Support BallOfSpray by supporting the companies that support BallOfSpray

Connelly  ★ Basta ★ DBSkis ★ Denali ★ Goode ★ Hobe Lake ★ HO Syndicate ★ MasterCraft

Masterline ★ McClintock's ★ Performance Ski and Surf ★ Reflex ★ Radar 

Stella Blue ★ Stokes ★ World WaterSki League

I did
    @Horton, yep. But after screwing up from my Ipad for a second time, gave up...
    Rodrigo Andai
  • Deep11Deep11 Posts: 221 Solid Baller
    I did
    It was Rossi for me, best one handed gate out there which took ages to try and get even close. Fortunately he changed to two handed but kept the speed and dynamics of a one handed AND he did us all the favour of explaining what he was doing - pull out, turn in, focus etc - silly not to give it a go :)
    First set I changed ran 35 fòr the first time - probably coincidence but having more control of speed development, and as a result edge change and direction off second wake, had to be a factor too.
  • Rico226Rico226 Posts: 33 Baller
    I did
    Decided to change back last season, after 5 years of the one hand, the two hand just simplified the steps with the all important start to the course
  • GOODESkierGOODESkier Posts: 1,107 Crazy Baller
    I did
    I didn't specifically follow them, BUT after being told I was struggling with the 1 handed gate, I decided to switch. Two friends suggested it, and I just went for it in an effort to clean up my gate and get any advantage I could get.

However, I did use Parish's videos to practice. No looking back for me. I also fixed my hand set up this last year (I am LFF but was using RFF Hand Set-Up). Jumped from a Practice PB of 1 @ 38 last year to a Practice PB of 2 @ 39.5

Possible coincidence as well, but I will take anything I can get. THANKS TO THE 2 GUYS THAT HELPED! Can't wait to ski with them again!

2003 Nautique 196 LE Star Gazer & ZBox - GOODE NANO OneXT 66.75" - Powershell 5 (LFF) - Tournament PB: 2 Balls @ 39.5' OFF (34.2 MPH) on 7/18/2015 at BIG DAWG BROHO!
  • bkreisbkreis Posts: 312 Baller
    I did
    Once in a while still go one hand gate if I really over-run pullout in a tail wind
    www.skyfitness.com
  • A_BA_B Posts: 4,287 Mega Baller
    I don't ski enough to waste time on something that doesn't initially work well.
    It would just give me one more chance to mis-grip the handle.
    Ed_Obermeier
  • Alberto SoaresAlberto Soares Posts: 324 Solid Baller
    edited December 2013
    I did
    Thanks to Chet Ralley I got back to 2 HG
  • DragoDrago Posts: 1,598 Mega Baller
    I've been back and forth. LFF, one handed was way better at short line (39), and better with ZO unless you're trying to be "light on the line". My son was taught one hand from day one, just switched to 2 handers, works better for him. He's 7 passes and 100 lbs behind me, though.
    SR SL Judge & Driver (“a driver who is super late on the wheel and is out of sync”)
  • Ed_ObermeierEd_Obermeier Posts: 1,345 Crazy Baller
    edited December 2013
    Being LFF 2 hand just seems more natural to me. Maybe need another poll - percentage of LFF and RFF who do one-handed versus 2-handed gates? I wonder if it's more a RFF skier thing.
    Ed Obermeier - owner, EZ-Slalom Course Systems
    www.ez-slalom.com
    thager
    edited December 2013
    I did
    Anyway, although the poll did not have all the alternatives, it looks like many are leaving the one hand gate behind. Out of the 55k/34MPH skiers down here that can run 32 off or more, I was the only one still using the one hand gate.
    Rodrigo Andai
  • Bruce_ButterfieldBruce_Butterfield Posts: 1,770 Member of the BallOfSpray Hall Of Fame
    I did
    I didn't follow those guys, but switched back to 2 hand last spring after 6 years or so of 1 handed. Much smoother and consistent with 2 hands.
    I'm Ancient. WTH do I know?
    Skoot1123
    I did
    @Horton, you look lonely in the chart...
    Rodrigo Andai
  • Bruce_ButterfieldBruce_Butterfield Posts: 1,770 Member of the BallOfSpray Hall Of Fame
    edited December 2013
    I did
    @Horton looks lonely wherever he is;)
    I'm Ancient. WTH do I know?
    jayskiThe_MS
  • thagerthager Posts: 5,035 Mega Baller
    I have migrated from a one hand to a hybrid one-two with a short glide from wide. LFF two hand is to darn awkward for me!
    Stir vigorously then leave!
  • Skoot1123Skoot1123 Posts: 1,986 Mega Baller
    I did
    I switched this year once I started looking at a lot of video (old and new) of myself and seeing so much separation occurring on my turn in for the gate. I have definitely seen an increase in buoy count as well as consistency once I switched to the 2 HG. So while I didn't really follow CP or AL it certainly doesn't hurt to know the best also use that technique.
  • JackQJackQ Posts: 379 Open or Level 9 Skier
    I never went to a one hand gate. Although if executed well I could see the advantage, but did not think it was worth the loss in consistency. I prefer to make my starts the same every time regardless of the rope length. Unfortunately my starts still have more variability than I want.
  • Steven_HainesSteven_Haines Posts: 1,064 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    Didn't want Horton to feel lonely!
    I've tried to do the two hander again on occasion but it feels extremely awkward to me anymore. I've been doing the one handed thing since TWhisper came to our lake in 2003(?)
  • DustyDusty Posts: 315 Baller
    A ski buddy maintains that a perfect one hand is arguably better than a perfect two hand gate- BUT, I have seen the one-hand create some issues for some skiers. For many, a pretty good two-hand is more consistent and 'better', than an inefficient, or ill-timed one-hand.
  • DragoDrago Posts: 1,598 Mega Baller
    Incidentally , Parrish barely played with the one handed gate at the same time he switched skis= bad idea.
    SR SL Judge & Driver (“a driver who is super late on the wheel and is out of sync”)
  • ForrestGumpForrestGump Posts: 6,135
    That's what I was thinking. If memory serves me correctly, he skied one tournament with a one handed gate and then went back to two handed.
    Shane "Crash" Hill

• A_BA_B Posts: 4,287 Mega Baller
    edited December 2013
    Out of the 5 or 6 guys I ski with consistently, that all ski short line, only one uses a 1HG. Two others have tried and went back to 2HG. So in my small world, less than 20% on 1HG.