Ask Rossi

HortonHorton Posts: 32,395 Administrator
edited January 2014 in Technique & Theory
Do you have a question for Chris Rossi? Post it here.

In a week or so Chris will pick the best questions and answer them. Take your time and formulate the best question you can think of. The most insightful question will get a prize.

Support BallOfSpray by supporting the companies that support BallOfSpray

Connelly ☆DBSkis ☆Denali ☆Goode ☆GiveGo ☆MasterCraft ☆ Masterline 

Performance Ski and Surf ☆ Reflex ☆ Radar ☆ Rodics OffCourse ☆ S Lines ☆ Stokes ☆

Comments

• gator1gator1 Posts: 591 Crazy Baller
    I'd like to know if he is aiming for the same position in both weak side and strong side pull, and they just look different due to the fact theyARE weak side/strong, or is he trying for different positions to maximize the available (and different) mechanics of weak/strong stance. In other words hips rotated cross course on weak side, and more open to boat strong side. On purpose, or of necessity? Or optical illusion I shouldn't be seeing?
  • MISkierMISkier Posts: 3,439 Mega Baller
    What is the best drill, exercise, and/or visualization to keep elbows/arms in through the wake and after the whitewater? In other words, how do I improve my ability to keep the handle for myself (in close) through the edge change and into the release? Handle control one of my two areas of focus this year. Gate timing is the other.
    The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.
    ToddL
  • Chris RossiChris Rossi Posts: 324 Open or Level 9 Skier
  • JordanJordan Posts: 1,291 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    I am interested in the mental side of competing.

So, my question is how do you take what you practice and what you are currently working on and put it into play in competition without overthinking?

SkiJay
  • ToddLToddL Posts: 2,998 Mega Baller
    What is the one or two things that you had to learn/master to get over one of your biggests plateaus in running up the ski rope? These might be things that you have so incorporated into your style that now they are automatic, so think back... Also, how did you obtain that skill or ability?
    -- The future of skiing depends upon welcoming novice skiers regardless of age to our sport.
    MISkier
    What do you think USAWS/AWSA needs to change or focus on to make it easier for more rec skiers of any age to ease into competitive skiing?
    -- The future of skiing depends upon welcoming novice skiers regardless of age to our sport.
    What was the most fun/silliest format you've ever participated in at a tournament? Share the story...
    When training, do you spend more ski time at an easier pass perfecting technique or more time at your hardest pass trying to figure it out?
    drewskiGroovyGrant
  • BulldogBulldog Posts: 1,039 Crazy Baller
    What changes should be made to slalom skiing to make it more appealing to have the masses come out and enjoy an event?
    Mike Loeffler - "Someone somewhere is having a real problem today...My bad skiing is NOT one of them"
  • PurdueSkierPurdueSkier Posts: 209 Baller
    Following up on @Jordan's question,

What is the best way to practice: What are your techniques to identify, correct, and incorporate improvements in your practice skiing? I only get 4-6 sets per week, so I want to make the most of each of those sets. Do you use previous sets/video to identify individual areas to work on, then focus your next set on a single issue, possibly using a longer line/slower speed; or do you try to always work on integrating minor changes into a complete pass/set and work down the rope?
  • mwetskiermwetskier Posts: 1,337 Mega Baller
    i seem to remember in one of your articles you wrote that you never want to be 'free of the boat'. can you expand on that thought?
  • dislanddisland Posts: 1,518 Mega Baller
    You have a unique perspective being immersed deeply in both the water ski and snow ski industries and culture. What similarities and differences do you see. What are some of the things the snow ski folks are doing to promote the sport that could carry over to water ski?
    Dave Island- Princeton Lakes
  • jimbrakejimbrake Posts: 1,453 Mega Baller
    Hi Chris. Please explain how you "smear" the ski after the edge change.

thanks,
    Jim
    "...all of the basic fun banter"
  • bishop8950bishop8950 Posts: 1,251 Open or Level 9 Skier
    What up Rossi. I may be in Salt Lake in a month and if so I will see if you are around, I want to ski Alta

My question, what do you think makes Nate so good?

Another, after you are snow ski fit and you return to waterskiing in the spring, do your legs feel stronger then than they do in August? Mine do, by a lot. I will be in gym more this summer and am thinking about focusing on leg strength. Sound like a good idea?
  • Chuck_DickeyChuck_Dickey Posts: 1,462 Crazy Baller
    I'd like to hear Chris's current feeling with regard to front and back foot position and ankle spacing. I'm 5'-8", 165 pounds and have small feet (8.5) my ski bud is 6'+ and wears size 13's. Both have the same front heel placement which makes a big difference in rear heel location.
  • wtrskiorwtrskior Posts: 704 Crazy Baller
    I've been told by a number of different coaches about casting the handle out past centerline at my tougher passes at shorter lines. I'm able to get through -28off pretty consistently but not 32 or 35off at 34mph. I have a strong lean and pull too much too soon or too long I've been told at times .

I've had a tough time visualizing this pushing the handle out concept and making it happen consistently.

Thanks Chris!
  • IlivetoskiIlivetoski Posts: 1,191 Crazy Baller
    Hey Chris, What do you think would be the best advice for someone who is stuck at 32 off 36 mph? Also how do you get rid of the mental nervousness at tournaments?
    Thanks!!
  • foxriveratfoxriverat Posts: 617 Crazy Baller
    Hi Chris. For us new ballers that are just starting to try running the course. What advise or most important steps should we follow in order to succeed in making our first pass through the course.
    2000 Malibu Response LX 2019 65 HO Syndicate Omni Vapor Bindings
  • Texas6Texas6 Posts: 2,197
    Hey Chris - how important is physical conditioning in your philosophy on professional waterski training? Part two: If physical training is important to you, how does it change during the season vs off season?
    Daryn Dean - Lakes of Katy, TX
    ***Robbed out of Hundreds of Panda Worthy Posts***
  • skier2788skier2788 Posts: 815 Crazy Baller
    My Question Was Exactly The Same As @Texas6. Please Give An Idea As To What The Routine Is. Specific Exercises You Feel Keep You In Shape During The Off Season And During The Season.
    Travis Torley
  • Skoot1123Skoot1123 Posts: 2,167 Mega Baller
    How do you manage to maintain a "quiet head/level head" throughout the pass? Is that something that you practice and if so how?
  • jayskijayski Posts: 1,159 Mega Baller
    Hey @chrisrossi

Chipotle, Moe's or Tijuana flats when your in Otown?
  • ZmanZman Posts: 1,956 Mega Baller
    A lot of good questions. I hope Chris answers many of them!
  • A_BA_B Posts: 4,417 Mega Baller
    Chris, what are your thoughts on being "too early" to a buoy vs less aggression behind the boat and being more efficient? What do you think about doing to achieve or not achieve this path?

What is the difference when finishing an onside vs offside turn? I feel like I can "sit" on the buoy on my onside, but rarely do I feel this on my offside finish. What do you try to "feel" when you finish your turns?
    ToddL
  • thagerthager Posts: 5,549 Mega Baller
    Have skis really evolved?
    Stir vigorously then leave!
  • alex38alex38 Posts: 540 Baller
    where's wade?
  • bogboybogboy Posts: 699 Solid Baller
    Chris, thank you for your time. I have been skiing about 4 or 5 buoys under my potential this fall, and especially winter. My current 28, -15's feel like my 30, -15's felt last summer. I have only run a hand full of 30, -15's all winter. My hope is that as the weather warms up, I will get back on track, and improve, and exceed my performance of last summer. (Pb, 4 @ 32, -15). I ski on a regular basis through the winter, I think. About 2 times a week up at the course lake, and about 2 times a week at my larger home lake, free skiing. I am 57 y.o, 6'3", 190, good shape, no physical problems or limitations. 69" 2013 triumph (with steps). I plan to keep skiing, for a long time. I have skied since I was a kid, but I only ran my first full pass about 18 months ago. I do participate in lesson clinics at the course lake. I guess my question to you is what would you suggest for me, and also other skiers like me? Thank you.
    Chris, are you going to answer these questions via a youtube video like @Horton did in his "interview" and will you be enjoying an adult beverage with a reference to a college-themed movie scene at the end?
  • HortonHorton Posts: 32,395 Administrator

Support BallOfSpray by supporting the companies that support BallOfSpray

Connelly ☆DBSkis ☆Denali ☆Goode ☆GiveGo ☆MasterCraft ☆ Masterline 

Performance Ski and Surf ☆ Reflex ☆ Radar ☆ Rodics OffCourse ☆ S Lines ☆ Stokes ☆

ToddLMattP
  • GOODESkierGOODESkier Posts: 1,107 Crazy Baller
    How do you organize your practice sets? Do you chop rope tournament style most sets, chop when it feels good and practice along the way, practice your hardest pass multiple times, practice your shortest full pass multiple times, opt up and start at a shorter length than normal to get used to varying opening pass lengths????? Wondering what your routine looks like and your theory on that?
    2003 Nautique 196 LE Star Gazer & ZBox - GOODE NANO OneXT 66.75" - Powershell 5 (LFF) - Tournament PB: 2 Balls @ 39.5' OFF (34.2 MPH) on 7/18/2015 at BIG DAWG BROHO!
    Moggie
This discussion has been closed.