Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Need some waterski stoke!

eleeskieleeski Posts: 3,846 Infinite Pandas
Cherish every turn, jump, trick and minute on the water...

After sticking a giant needle in my hip (actually I have no idea of the size - I was too busy whimpering, trembling and fainting to see) the doctor ordered my not to ski until July. I need your inspirational stories of fun times skiing to get my mind back into skiing - even if my body won't cooperate. Good apres ski stories (or solutions to the Mickey's quiz caps) are always cool too.

And ride a trick ski just to humor me. I want to hear about that first toe back or your kid's newest flip.

Eric
Brady

Comments

• xratedxrated Posts: 506 Solid Baller
    This related to the pop you had?

I find the magic to a Mickeys quiz is somewhere between finishing the first bottle and halfway into the second.
  • ralral Posts: 1,708 Mega Baller
    edited June 2013
    @eleeski, I feel your pain, have been there and know this is something we face at this stage in our skiing careers. As I say now, a good set is a set where you can ski the following day.

I cannot trick at all, but I have a brand new 37" D3 rubber edge with the cutest Reflex ever ready for my 6 year old daughter. Hope she will be able to toe back and flip.
    Rodrigo Andai
    Wisheleeskijipster43KcSwerver
  • HortonHorton Posts: 27,620 Administrator
    @eleeski "Idle hands are the devil's workshop" In you case this makes me very nervous

Support BallOfSpray by supporting the companies that support BallOfSpray

Barts ★ Connelly ★  DBSkis ★ Goode ★ Hobe Lake ★ HO Syndicate 

MasterCraft ★ Masterline ★ MOB ★ Performance Ski and Surf ★ Reflex ★ Radar ★ Stokes

Texas6SkiJay
  • The_MSThe_MS Posts: 5,227 Mega Baller
    @eleeski. Pull the MC out and detail it.
    Shut up and ski
  • Not_The_PugNot_The_Pug Posts: 590 Solid Baller
    @MS parts might fall off if he cleans it.

@eleeski this gives you plenty of time to work on your next ski design.
  • Chef23Chef23 Posts: 5,957 Mega Baller
    @eleeski I feel your pain I have been on the shelf for almost a month now and my son had been benched for 6 weeks. My son is cleared to get back on the water this week but no jumping for another 3 weeks which is killing him because he has new jumpers that have never been over a ramp.

Any help on teaching a kid to flip that is high on my son's priority list for this year.

@ral that binding is awesome.
    Mark Shaffer
  • eleeskieleeski Posts: 3,846 Infinite Pandas
    @MS What are you saying?
    @Krlee Details of the Pleasant Oak parties - especially if the tequila is so good that you and Stephanie follow Sam and Kristi's lead.
    @xrated I'd do better if Kona or Stone brewing (or even Steel Reserve) had quiz caps. I'm not sure I can choke down that much Mickey's. Also I'll bump the other thread - this is not the place for geriatric complaints. All upbeat here.
    @Chef23 Ski school! Is Kevin Jack around? Kirk figured out his first flip at Bennett's. Camilo is fantastic. Flips are a staple of all the high level ski schools. Are any junior developments happening nearby? Kirk is doing one in Bako next week.
    Regarding jump, Kirk learned a lot from the Goodmans and has not gotten hurt. Solid form trumps distance.
    @Ral So cool! We will see another South American trick star soon!
    Thanks all. I'm getting cheered up already.
    Eric
  • jackskijackski Posts: 263 Baller
    OK Eric, this is a really old story but maybe you'll find some humor in it.
    Many years ago when we were learning to trick, we'd all go in tournaments anyway. One of our friends had a little larger nose, although we sure made more of it. He did one of his first "backs" in the tournament but bent over so far in that position that his nose dragged in the water for a bit and pretty well made a wake. We called it a new trick a "nose back"
    Jack
    Steven_Haines
    @Jackski Sweet! How many points?
    Eric
  • Razorskier1Razorskier1 Posts: 3,425 Mega Baller
    @eleeski -- my wife has a torn up hip labrum and had it injected a couple of weeks ago. Her comment, "I think that needle was the size of your wrist, and then they shot a baseball through it into my hip. I will not be doing that every six months!". We will see how long the hip works. If it starts to deteriorate, then probably have her get it fixed in the fall. My knee surgery pretty much chewed up our out of pocket for the year -- might as well pile on while insurance is picking up the tab.
    Jim Ross
    Skoot1123
  • Not_The_PugNot_The_Pug Posts: 590 Solid Baller
    @eleeski I make sure I don't drink that much so those little opps don't happen. :)
  • crashmancrashman Posts: 722 Crazy Baller
    Not trick related but maybe there's some stoke here- we're having a birthday party for my son and he says "I'm going to put the buoys in". Next thing I know he's making a slalom course out of the balloons and "running the course"
    slalom addiction triggering irrational behavior
    Skoot1123eleeskiJoepruncSteven_Haines
  • Chef23Chef23 Posts: 5,957 Mega Baller
    @eleeski we are planning a trip to Travers he was supposed to be there this week but we had to postpone due to his knee.

Unfortunately Kevin Jack isn't around New England much anymore I think he is in FL full time now.
    Mark Shaffer
  • jackskijackski Posts: 263 Baller
    @eleeski unfortunately water ski Canada wouldn't approve the new trick !
    Jack
  • A_BA_B Posts: 4,118 Mega Baller
    @eleeski, you should make sure to avoid this type of skiing, it looks like it could put pressure on your hip....
    Texas6
    @AB Now that's waterski stoke!
  • Skoot1123Skoot1123 Posts: 1,816 Mega Baller
    Eric - had a great ski session with a fellow baller last night on the lake. A bit breezy for the first sets - but then the water calmed down and the second sets were perfect. My father in law made 6 buoys twice for the first time in the water this year. Fellow baller skied well. I ran probably the easiest ever 22 off pass ever. Finished it off by eating dinner at the ski lake. Can't get much better than that!
    eleeskiBradySteven_Haines
  • A_BA_B Posts: 4,118 Mega Baller
    ...and then the 3 skiers pictured above skied by the dock and put on a show...priceless!
    Skoot1123Brady
  • gsm_petergsm_peter Posts: 748 Crazy Baller
    Hi @eleeski
    Just back from a training session in Italy (http://waterskiitaly.com)

There was a guy doing incredible tricks with many different flips.
    Then he broke his ski totally.
    He didn't give up so he took a slalom run (he had not been skiing for a long time) .
    He did all six at 13meter. When he checked the ski the wing was hanging up side down totally loose on only the back end screw.
    Next day when he fixed the wing he made five at 12meter.

Best luck healing fast!
    Life is too short not to enjoy every day!
    Skoot1123eleeski
  • InthedayIntheday Posts: 140 Baller
    The D3 has arrived to replace the HO Turbo. Just have to get the courage up to drill holes in my new ski to put on the RTP.
    @Intheday, why are you thinking about drilling a D3 to put a RTP?
    Rodrigo Andai
  • RichardDoaneRichardDoane Posts: 4,118 Mega Baller
    @eleeski - I rode my trick ski just for you today, and landed a wrapped WO first try, you'dve been proud !
    BallOfSpray Pacific Northwest Vice President of Event Management, aka "Zappy"
  • InthedayIntheday Posts: 140 Baller
    @ral the D3 trick has no holes/inserts for mounting the D3 RTP. The mounting instructions say drill pilot holes for the scews. Hated drilling holes in my new ski but it is done now.
  • klindyklindy Posts: 2,280 Mega Baller
    @intheday just be sure to use SHORT screws for the rear toe on a trick. They MUST be shorter than those used on a slalom or they'll start to stick out the bottom.
    Keith Lindemulder
    AWSA Vice President
    AWSA Southern Region EVP
    Intheday
    Trick! Sorry, looks like I was half drunk yesterday, was thinking about slalom...
    Rodrigo Andai
    Intheday
    @intheday & @ral I was picturing the old HO Turbo slalom ski. Maybe I should make a carbon/boron version and see how it works.
    @intheday You will love the D3 trick! Keep us updated on your progress.
    @richarddoane WO! Wow! You'll be a trick star soon.
    @klindy 1/2 inch #8 pan head stainless sheet metal screws work well. But several of my skis have holes on the bottom from too long screws. I should know better. Of course some skis have things intentionally screwed into the bottom - I should still know better.
    @gsm_peter I don't think he was on one of my skis.
    @Skoot123 I'm hungry now!
    @crashman I'm setting up a balloon course in the living room.
    Thanks for the entertainment, Eric
  • tjmtjm Posts: 329 Baller
    Duck tape might get you on the water faster. Been where you are and proper taping pattern got me back a little early. Do not ask or tell your doctor. He won't agree with me
    Kirk's boat is broken, his ski is cracked, Lisa has a cold and is wearing flannel. I'm still in need of more stoke...

But Kirk had a great time and taught some future stars in this week's Bako junior development. There is hope for the sport with both the great juniors on the way and the juniors of a couple years ago are the competent coaches. Good stoke!

Plus this experiment pictured was interesting. Thanks to Stan for evaluating it.

Eric