Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Shin guard Ideas???

MarcoMarco Posts: 1,425 Crazy Baller
Center punched 2 ball yesterday, and the ensuing crash left me with a deep gash on my rear shin from the block on the back of my Reflex. Not the first time it happened, but it was definitely the worst. 8 stitches and a painful bone bruise to go along with it. Has anyone come up with a good shin guard system that stays on and is made from beefy material? I'm worried that if I use a standard soccer shin guard, it will not stay in place with all the spray. The Doc says I can get back on the water as soon as the skin heals, maybe as early as this weekend. Any ideas are appreciated.

Comments

• AndreAndre Posts: 1,313 Mega Baller
    Same thing from saturday morning .Way less severe but still painfull.
  • skinutskinut Posts: 416 Baller
    Just put a spray guard over the shin guard.
  • BlueSkiBlueSki Posts: 745 Crazy Baller
    I use a basic soccer shin guard and take the elastic ankle protector, cut off the underfoot strap, and use it as an elastic wrap that keeps the guard in place.
  • Onside135Onside135 Posts: 419 Crazy Baller
    Don't know about any shin guard ideas, but I've seen someone zip tie foam around the release block. Think water noodle material, or maybe even stiff carpet padding type stuff..
  • hemlockhemlock Posts: 156 Baller
    Are your buoys sunk a bit? Perhaps add more water.
  • mmosley899mmosley899 Posts: 634 Water Ski Industry Professional
    Find a better release system.
    Mike's Overall Binding www.mobsystemrelease.com
    Sweet Home Alabama Skiing
    Senior Judge, Senior Driver, Tech Controller
    Than_Bogan
  • ForrestGumpForrestGump Posts: 6,097
    Soccer shin guards work fine. I've used them in the past at times skiing. Way cheaper than ditching a perfectly good release and binding system for another.
    Shane "Crash" Hill

AndreGaryWilkinsonMarco
  • GloersenGloersen Posts: 984 Crazy Baller
  • OKSkierOKSkier Posts: 122 Baller
    I had exactly the same injury. The release protector has nothing to do with this injury. The part that hits the shin is the heal block on the back of the front boot.
    I bought a 'too big' spray leg protector and got a kids size 'slip in ' soccer shin guard to slip in.
    Works perfectly
    MattPchris_loganBookm_danoMarco
  • rockdogrockdog Posts: 586 Crazy Baller
    Same also @Marco. Pretty painful. This coming season I'll try the pad on the boot cleat, I find using a shin guard a bit of a pain in the ass. I lost a shin guard before covering the current one with a spray leg which works. It's just two more bits of gear I need to carry around and try not to lose.https://us.v-cdn.net/5017617/uploads/FileUpload/ed/7b59c177a971786e32a02960b42d58.jpg
  • skibugskibug Posts: 2,049
    While a shin guard is cheaper to replace than a binding system; the hospital/doctor bill may not be. And, you can't put a price on peace of mind, at least from the perspective of raking your back leg across unnecessary hardware.
    Bob Grizzi
  • skinutskinut Posts: 416 Baller
    @rockdog-I'm not sure how you would get a pad on the boot heal. I've tried and it would infringe on the release of the boot, ie the pad on the cleat would hit the release mechanism as you were trying to lock the boot in. It is a tight fit between the cleat and the rear binding so adding padding to the cleat makes it impossible to get the boot locked in. I'm sure someone on this site could figure it out but I just gave up and used the shinguard and spray leg.
  • MarcoMarco Posts: 1,425 Crazy Baller
    Thanks for all the comments. @skinut - I'm with you, I don't know how a pad on the cleat would function. I found some Nike shin guards with an over sized calf sleeve that will work perfectly. I'll maybe give it another day for the stitches to heal and then give it a go. I found these at Sports Authority.
    chris_logan
    @marco @skinut , @Gloersen reckons it works so I'm going to try it with an open mind, better than using a shin guard..
    @rockdog If it works, I'm interested, as I don't want to wear a shinguard forever. Post pictures of your set up and report back on how it works.
  • dchristmandchristman Posts: 1,098 Mega Baller
    Regardless of what others are saying here, it's not the heel block that has bloodied my shin in the past. If I crush the release contacts my shin. I use the Reflex release cover and a shin guard I made from and old 1/4" dive suit leg. I cut out a patch from the plastic tongue that comes with the boot and goo-ed it to the shin area. Bonus is a zipper for easy on and off:

Is it time to ski, yet?
    Bookm_dano
  • chris_loganchris_logan Posts: 358 Crazy Baller
    The timing of this thread is interesting. I had this injury twice in the past 8 days, a week apart, while skiing on Sunday morning. Of course, now I am actually looking for some protection since the second impact created a second gash and reopened the unhealed hole of the first impact a week prior. Going to Academy at lunch to round up slip in shin guards and a calf compression sleeve. Fingers crossed.
    Always looking for a pull... Will you be my boatdriver?
    I took my first ski ride since my injury yesterday, 6 days after I got the stitches. The shin guard worked well, and protected me when my shin hit the buoy at -35. My wound is still very tender and painful, as well as the bone bruise, and it didn't hurt any worse when I whacked the buoy. Stitches didn't pull out either. Saw the doc today, and she said another week before they can take them out. 2 weeks to keep stitches in seems like a long time...
    no flesh on the shin either, must be a hard spot to stitch up.
    Yeah, it pulls the skin pretty tight. Thats why they need to stay in so long.