Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Risk Taking

dislanddisland Posts: 1,322 Mega Baller
edited January 2016 in News & Other Stuff

Comments

• HortonHorton Posts: 27,901 Administrator

Support BallOfSpray by supporting the companies that support BallOfSpray

Barts ★ Connelly ★  DBSkis ★ Goode ★ Hobe Lake ★ HO Syndicate 

MasterCraft ★ Masterline ★ Performance Ski and Surf ★ Reflex ★ Radar ★ Stokes

• oldjeepoldjeep Posts: 3,430 Mega Baller
    Taste death, live life.

In all seriousness taking risks while ski racing is more the default, thinking too much about not taking them is what gets me hurt.
    Chuck P
    Not a mechanic but I play one at home
    BRYWish
  • jimbrakejimbrake Posts: 1,308 Mega Baller
    @disland - I wonder if anyone else on here besides you and me reads Ski Racing. Maybe a couple.

I think risk taking in water skiing applies most to jump. How to incorporate risk into your training in a smart way that limits your potential for injury, but maximizes your progression. I'm going through that with my 16 yr old son now. It's a mix of learning good technique from good coaches, athleticism, cojones, and brains. Very much like the speed events in alpine racing.
    "...all of the basic fun banter"
  • dislanddisland Posts: 1,322 Mega Baller
    edited January 2016
    Dave Island- Princeton Lakes
    edited January 2016

skidawg
  • JohnNJohnN Posts: 122 Baller
    @jimbrake I'm guessing @Drago reads ski racing :) . The author of the article, Dr. Taylor (www.drjimtaylor.com), has some great insights on competition in general, applicable to more than just ski racing if anyone is interested in the mental aspects of competing.
    ouch my first panda
    @disland - yeah, that was uncalled for by @horton.

• thagerthager Posts: 4,602 Mega Baller
    Bra-ha-ha-ha-ha!!!! Well played!

Stir vigorously then leave!
    I think its just awesome that there are 2 pandas in this thread and neither one went to the guy who posted the Ski Patrol trailer :)
    Chuck P
    edited January 2016
    @oldjeep - right? I'll see your Ski Patrol and raise you a Hot Dog.

BRY9400Texas6
    edited January 2016
    @jimbrake

I fixed your post. I could explain why but this seems better.

• JDMJDM Posts: 35 Baller
    This is a somewhat apples to apples comparison between ski racing and water ski short line slalom skiing on the risk taking equation, however, water skiing is so much more of a controlled environment with less variables than ski racing so the big difference is in water skiing you believe one or the other where ski racing you need to evaluate other factors.

There are discussions all the time on here about ski paths and what is the optimum path through the slalom course. Some argue it is the fast and narrow which you have to ski at shorter lines, but that feels "risky" and fast, while some say that the more rounded early approach is best. That is much like the more direct lines in ski racing are faster, but don't feel as controlled as a slightly more rounded approach.

In my ski racing experience, which was decades ago, it depended on the terrain and course set up that changed with every race which helped dictate the risks you could take and course inspection, understanding of the terrain etc... really guided when to take risks and when not to. Some courses/sections were great for "taking risks" others rewarded a more measured approach.

Great article, thanks for posting!
  • BRYBRY Posts: 585 Crazy Baller
    @jimbrake HotDog best ski movie ever! Just need to cut/fastforward his guitar ballad scene.
  • Than_BoganThan_Bogan Posts: 6,479 Mega Baller
    Ooh the rare triple panda!
    Nathaniel Bogan -- GUT Padawan
    Texas6
    thanks @horton - I knew I was doing it wrong.
    @JDM - here comes your panda. Teach you to talk about snow skiing and how it relates to slalom water skiing. I've certainly learned MY lesson.
  • Stevie BoyStevie Boy Posts: 2,036 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    edited January 2016
    Should this thread be titled "How To Bang Yourself Up" risk taking is for mugs at some point you are going to get hurt or end up deceased.
    Live for tomorrow.

When The Going Gets Tough, Get Stoked !

I think you've misread. He's talking about allowing the possibility of failure, not injurying yourself.
    edited January 2016
    @Stevie Boy careful getting up off that couch ;) Waterskiing has risk, snow ski racing has a lot more. The article is talking about risk/reward for taking various levels of risk. If you're not falling/crashing occasionally then you are not trying hard enough or you are not trying to be competitive (which is fine). For my part, if I am consciously making a risk decision while skiing then it is already too late and I'd better give up on the run because I'm not thinking about what I need to do to finish. The trick is training your subconscious to get better at making those decisions that you don't have time to "think" about.
    Chuck P
    I suppose there is a difference between risk and recklessness

@oldjeep far from the couch, but well beaten up, in hind sight I would have not taken so many risk, because I now pay the price everyday, still kicking, still pushing, still getting banged up.

[Deleted User]
    Indeed. I claim that nearly all successful people leave behind them a trail of failures. It's because you can't push the envelope, in any field, unless you are willing to fail.
    disland
  • DragoDrago Posts: 1,588 Mega Baller
    This reinforces how very different alpine ski racing and waterskiing are.
    I have never seen a triple panda before.
    SR SL Judge & Driver (“a driver who is super late on the wheel and is out of sync”)
    @drago - it was because of a posting error, though. Not because I tried to make some alpine to waterskiing comparison that no one, but the alpine skiers would understand or care about. So unfair.
    To my knowledge there had only ever been one triple panda recipient (@OB1), so this is a pretty special honor to be worn with pride!
    at the risk of getting another panda. When I posted this I was thinking about the process of how we go about training. Not how you think in the middle of specific run but more about how we go about improving thru stretching our boundaries and comfort zone. Just like Chet spoke about in the video. If you keep going about your skiing the same way you will not improve.
    For me you can talk about it, think about it, but you only really get it, when you feel it.

• RogerRoger Posts: 1,556 Crazy Baller
    I'm not sure that many people here understand risk management...
    Roger B. Clark - Okeeheelee skier. Senior driver, Senior Judge
    edited January 2016
    how about this guy
    edited January 2016
    how about this guy