Anyone ever use a 2 foot shock tube

HortonHorton Posts: 31,532 Administrator
I have a 2 footer and wonder if it is nearly as effective as the standard 4 foot shock tube.

Any experience?

Support BallOfSpray by supporting the companies that support BallOfSpray

Connelly ★ DBSkis ★ Denali ★ Follow ★ Goode ★ GiveGo ★ HO Syndicate ★ MasterCraft

Masterline ★ Performance Ski and Surf★ Reflex★ Radar★ Rodics OffCourse ★ Stokes

Comments

• I5boiI5boi Posts: 156 Baller
    We use a 2' and it appears to work well. It would be interesting to see some technical data between the two. I haven't been hit in the head yet! Of course nobody gets stacked like @Horton
  • gregygregy Posts: 2,590 Mega Baller
    I have a 2 footer that I got to use with my tracker. We never got a handle in the boat but there's a couple of skiers I was pretty nervous about. I got a 4 footer over the winter, going to try this year.
  • MISkierMISkier Posts: 3,336 Mega Baller
    I don't think the shock tube will prevent the handle from flying into the boat. It is supposed to prevent the rope from wrapping around the driver's neck or the throttle. I don't think it dampens the recoil.

That said, it seems that a 2 foot tube might not be as effective at preventing the rope from wrapping around the driver, etc.
    The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.
    DanEVernon Reeve
  • waterbeatwaterbeat Posts: 16 Baller
    My wife was driving once when the rope came into the boat and went around her neck. The long tube protected her neck from chafe or worse until I (sitting in the middle) grabbed it away. A short tube probably would not have reached from the pylon to her neck.
  • dislanddisland Posts: 1,497 Mega Baller
    I have used 2 foot exclusively for the last several years. Certainly easier to pull the rope thru. I have never had a problem with the rope going around the drivers neck or really anything else. I did have a pylon mount have a rope get caught and was broken. That being said my personal observation is I see less handle pops now that 10 years ago. Maybe new skis and new technique or maybe just everyone getting older and not trying to hold on as much.
    Dave Island- Princeton Lakes
  • The_MSThe_MS Posts: 6,517 Member of the BallOfSpray Hall Of Fame
    Is there any evidence that the 4 footers work?
    Shut up and ski
  • WishWish Posts: 8,423 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    Here is an in between I've used for yrs. It's 3 feet and does a great job. The inner diameter is huge, has not faded (3yrs now), it holds it's form as its stout vs sagging flimsy 4 footers, no white writing all over it and is cheaper. Highly recommend it. http://tinyurl.com/j5zbqvv

>>> 11.25..a different kettle of fish. <<<
    SkiJayskiforever
    Oh, and I'll add.. if you are just in a practice set and you know your gonna take a hit more then you can take, PLEASE toss the handle and protect the driver and yourself. Simply not worth injury to either to see how much of a hit you can take. Slightly off topic I know.
    Jody_SealBulldog
  • Jody_SealJody_Seal Posts: 3,536 Mega Baller
    A 2' shock tube utilized with out a camera swing arm may exacerbate the rope recoil where as a 4' does not.
    The camera set up that we use for record tournament though we use the 2' shock tube on the swing arm.
    When not utilizing a camera and as a driver I prefer the small dia 4' tubes.
    However like the man said above there is no reason to hang on to crap that might cause recoil and harm the boat crew.
    Hobby Boats can be expensive when the hobbyist is limited on their own skill and expertise.

• 6balls6balls Posts: 5,875 Mega Baller
    I like the ease of use of the Masterline 2 footers. First saw them at a tourney and as boat judge and when helping change out ropes at the starting dock they were certainly more user friendly than 4 footers.
    I subsequently bought a 2 footer for my boat and really like it...but I really have no evidence of effectiveness or lack thereof. We don't pop many handles anymore which I guess comes with age and wisdom.
    Dave Ross--die cancer die
    @6balls you would feel the same about the 3 footer as to ease of use.
  • DWDW Posts: 2,415 Mega Baller
    @JTH: We have been using 2' ones on a couple of boats for a few years. One guy does have the tendency to pop the handle, does not seem to react much differently based on tube length although not seen all types of recoils either. All the recoils have tended to go straight forward or slightly off center but not in a pattern where it would wrap around the driver / observer.
  • EricKelleyEricKelley Posts: 300 Crazy Baller
    My preference is the 2 footer. I have never had a handle in the boat with one. Not saying that it could not happen.
  • HortonHorton Posts: 31,532 Administrator
    edited March 2016
    @ms I am 100% sure that a shock tube changes the way the rope and handle recoil. I would need the math geeks to chime in but I think more than anything it changes the end point of the rope. What I mean by that is the rope is springing back towards the end of the tube and not towards the pylon. This changes the path of the handle away from the driver or in my case Buford Danger.

@Than_Bogan @AdamCord feel free to debunk my science?

Connelly ★ DBSkis ★ Denali ★ Follow ★ Goode ★ GiveGo ★ HO Syndicate ★ MasterCraft

@Horton you just tossed in the real reason why. If you are questioning it, you already know the answer and trying to mathamatically delineate 2' vs 4' and whether it will or won't strike her wont make you feel more comfortable. If she gets hit do to the 2' your going to feel beyond bad. Play it safe my friend. Minimum of 3' or the best 4'er you can buy. It's not worth the wonder if.. and/or constant worry.
    @wish thank you Capt Obvious. Yes as soon as I start shortening the rope I will go to the 4 footer unless someone can convince me otherwise. That is the point of this thread.

MattPswc5150
    edited March 2016
    I wouldn't get within a 100 yards of trying to answer that. How bad would the person feel that mathaticllay convinced you that it was ok and then something happens. Not a good thing to ask of a baller IMHO. And at 22 off a rope can head for the crew.
    @wish it really is not clear. Is 2 feet good enough? Is 3 feet good enough? Should we be using a 6-foot Shock tube? That's why I'm asking. the default is the 4-footer and that's probably what I'm going to do.

• Bruce_ButterfieldBruce_Butterfield Posts: 2,027 Member of the BallOfSpray Hall Of Fame
    Another option that I use, that is much more user friendly, is a 3' section of 1" clear plastic tubing you can get at Lowes or Home Depot. Tie a short piece of rope to the tube with zip ties and a loop for the pylon that gives 6-12" between the pylon and front of the tube. It lasts forever (mine is probably 15 years old) and is much easier to change rope length than the traditional shock tube.

If it makes you feel better, start with a 4' section.
    I'm Ancient. WTH do I know?
    @Bruce_Butterfield so the 3' section of pipe can't hit the crew? Getting slapped by that I would think would hurt.
  • thagerthager Posts: 5,393 Mega Baller
    @Wish My guess is that @Bruce_Butterfield uses a very thin and light piece of clear tubing like those used for holding florescent lights. Very little mass to them.
    Stir vigorously then leave!
  • The_MSThe_MS Posts: 6,517 Member of the BallOfSpray Hall Of Fame
    I have seen Colombian neck ties happen with 4 footers, 2 footers and also with neither in use.
    Shut up and ski
    thager
  • ALPJrALPJr Posts: 2,652 Mega Baller
    edited March 2016
    4' for sure and an observer with quick arms to protect the little ones. We had 4 kids grow up in ski boats. A few close calls with handles and one rope on a neck. No serious injuries thankfully!
  • Bruce_ButterfieldBruce_Butterfield Posts: 2,027 Member of the BallOfSpray Hall Of Fame
    @wish no the tubing is heavy enough that it won't come forward. I've never had any issues but I don't pop the handle like I use to.

I'll be sure to add a few fish hooks to the tube if @thager ever rides in the boat.
    I'm Ancient. WTH do I know?
    WishthagerThe_MSMattP
  • thagerthager Posts: 5,393 Mega Baller
    @Bruce_Butterfield is just fishin for laughs! Nice!
    Stir vigorously then leave!
  • dchristmandchristman Posts: 1,335 Mega Baller
    This thread has me wondering if perhaps ZO has somehow mitigated recoil because of the different technique required. I haven't seen a handle shot into the boat in a while.
    Is it time to ski, yet?
    Horton
  • RichardDoaneRichardDoane Posts: 4,794 Mega Baller
    @horton - size matters, go w/ the 4'
    BallOfSpray Pacific Northwest Vice President of Event Management, aka "Zappy"
    Wish
  • slowslow Posts: 515 Crazy Baller
    Took a handle to the back of the head with a 4 foot shock tube. Guy wouldn't let go of anything. He's retired from skiing now becouse his body is so beat up
    Wish
  • aupatkingaupatking Posts: 1,713 Mega Baller
    I've had big guy who is a new skier, since last year, trying hard to get in the course this year take a hit so hard at 2 that i swear to you, the handle made it to 3. That said, I would almost expect the rope to wrap me, and it didn't even touch me. (I was ducking though). This was with a 4' tube. I really like the look of the 2' but I'm a full face helmet guy, even if the law says I don't need it.
    Hortonchris_logan
    edited March 2016
    The last Nats at Okee I shot a handle from 5 to 6 ball at 35 off. When I came up from the crash I saw the splash so thinkn it had some hight as well. I bet the boat crew flinched. If the trade off is looks or easy of use or something silly like that....not worth the risk IMHO
    aupatkingSkoot1123