Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Bringing boat to lower elevation, Prop issues?

gt2003gt2003 Posts: 726 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
Yes, I hear your sighs. Me, boat questions, I get it... No, we still don't have a boat. Getting married soon(7/22 to be exact), breaking ground for a house soon etc have taken priority for this year. Still skiing a bit but not near as much as I'd like. My question is, I see a boat on SIA in Colorado, elevation about 5600 feet (6L, 400HP, Hammerhead motor). No, I'm not buying this second but what changes would be needed bringing the boat down to 500 feet above sea level? Would it require a re-prop for best performance? I have no idea on what it has now. Also, is the 2007, 6L Hammerhead a good motor?

BOAT

2014 HO TX
1996 Malibu Echelon

Comments

• HockdogHockdog Posts: 193 Solid Baller
    They are asking a lot of money for an almost 10 year old boat............

Juz sayin'....
  • gt2003gt2003 Posts: 726 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    Yes, 100% agree! They will be insulted most likely with what we offer, probably 28. But, I need to know the rest of the info to see if it's a worthwhile consideration.
    2014 HO TX
    1996 Malibu Echelon
  • UWSkierUWSkier Posts: 1,287 Mega Baller
    Hammerhead in a light boat like that there might not have ever been a reprop done. 6L is a fine motor.
  • MISkierMISkier Posts: 2,699 Mega Baller
    FYI, A 2007 Malibu can be converted to Zero Off.
    The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.
  • LeonLLeonL Posts: 2,349 Crazy Baller
    edited July 2016
    Yeah, that's WAY to much money. I think 28k is too much. Some of you guys can correct me, but just how much could that boat been had for new? Not MSRP, but a good sale price. I'm thinking less than 38k?
    Leon Leonard Stillwater Lake KY - SR Driver SR Judge
  • oldjeepoldjeep Posts: 3,451 Mega Baller
    edited July 2016
    What the heck is a 6.0L hammerhead? A Hammerhead (383) displaces 6.2L and is neither an LS 6.0 or LS 6.2 it is a stroked 5.7L.

FWIW on the price there was an identical one for sale in MN (silver anniversary LXI) that sat around for about 2 years on CL trying to sell for 28K
    Chuck P
    Not a mechanic but I play one at home
    edited July 2016
    Not as pretty as the 2007 but a 2005 260 hours and a Hammerhead for 24K
    http://worcester.craigslist.org/boa/5612089956.html

Chuck P
  • UWSkierUWSkier Posts: 1,287 Mega Baller
    '05 is a completely different boat though. The '07 is the blinged out anniversary edition and rode the newer (some say less desirable) hull. A non "silver edition" was several thousand less new.
    edited July 2016
    Yes, but most of the silver edition cost was tied up in the Hammerhead upgrade that they all came with.
    Chuck P
  • gt2003gt2003 Posts: 726 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    So, back to the question, would there be any issues with the prop bringing from higher elevation to lower?

Since it's been brought up, what do u all feel a good "offer" would be?
    2014 HO TX
    1996 Malibu Echelon
  • JordanJordan Posts: 1,206 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    First, find out if the prop has been changed from stock, it may not have been. if the stock prop is still on there, you don't need to do anything.

If the prop has been changed, it has likely been replaced by one with a lower pitch. When brought back to near sea level, rpms might be too high. Be careful about over revving it at wide open throttle.

The only other consideration if the pitch is a little low, is that you may burn more gas than necessary.
    edited July 2016
    The prop is a non issue - $350 to swap it out. If you are concerned then ask the seller for the numbers off the prop and then look at this chart. Factory prop would have been an Acme 425

https://www.bakesonline.com/images/MediaLibrary/MalibuPropApp.pdf
    Chuck P