Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BallOfSpray Tournaments

BeastmodeBeastmode Posts: 89 Baller
edited January 2017 in News & Other Stuff
@Horton has worked very hard at developing and putting on the BallOfSpray tournament for the past two years. I was interested in getting some feed back from the skiers who have skied in these tournaments and from all the Ballers.
What are the Pros and Cons of these tournaments?

Comments

• MattPMattP Posts: 5,991 Mega Baller
    edited January 2017
    Pros - It's a ton of fun! An equal playing field and anyone can walk home with some cash. Getting to meet other skiers/ballers from around the country.
    Cons - @BoneHead and @RazorRoss3 drank all the beer. Honestly no real cons I can think of.
  • BeastmodeBeastmode Posts: 89 Baller
    I have skied in both the Austin BOS tournaments and really look forward to skiing in this format.
    Pros---
    Professional format 2 preliminary Rounds then seeded to Head to Head finals or Handicap Round.
    Great competition for any level skier. (mid to bottom level 8 tough area to place)
    Most skiers friendly and talkative.
    Impromptu after party first year and planned second year.

Cons---
    More structure to the After parties.
    better Announcing during final rounds
    Perfect for big dawgs and Pro skiers competing head to head, but there is a huge gap for skiers just running 35' and getting a few at 38' - make head to head but go against skiers getting into 41'. Hard to beat avg in Handicap.
    This year in Austin was an Exception, because US Open and Big Dawg Finals were going on the same dates. only one Big Dawg and One Pro were there and made the balance perfect.
    Need sponsor booths with merchandise - we love stickers, tee shirts, Hats and Swag!!!
    Wish we had Demos like HO did the first tournament.
  • RazorRoss3RazorRoss3 Posts: 1,333 Mega Baller
    In heaven there is no beer
    That's why we drink it here
    And when we're gone from here
    Our friends will be drinking all our beer

- Hawkeye victory song

I think the events are a lot of fun, good crowd.
  • LeonLLeonL Posts: 2,344 Crazy Baller
    The only way to assure that you won't lose money on t-shirts is have people preorder, and hope they follow through.
    Leon Leonard Stillwater Lake KY - SR Driver SR Judge
    Beastmode
  • HortonHorton Posts: 27,604 Administrator
    meh.
    Looking for a healthy snack? Try SuperFat

Support BallOfSpray by supporting the companies that support BallOfSpray

Barts ★ Connelly ★  DBSkis ★ Goode ★ Hobe Lake ★ HO Syndicate 

MasterCraft ★ Masterline ★ MOB ★ Performance Ski and Surf ★ Reflex ★ Radar ★ Stokes

• Razorskier1Razorskier1 Posts: 3,425 Mega Baller
    @Horton -- I've had a great time at both events I skied! As a "middle of the pack" skier, I consider it a victory to make the top 16! Whatever happens after that is a bonus!

Off the water I really had fun meeting people and talking with them. Thanks!
    Jim Ross
    Beastmode
  • ColeGiacopuzziColeGiacopuzzi Posts: 427 Open or 55K Rated Skier
    edited January 2017
    The one I have been to up in Sacramento was great! Awesome group of people from all over. You get a mix of OM & OW with everyone else, you never know you might be up against your favorite skier in a head to head; really cool experience! I'm stoked for this year and definitely planning on hitting more than one! kudos to @Horton for all the hard work putting these on, I've seen first hand how much work he puts into it lets just say it's nonstop.
    dislandBeastmode
  • DirtDirt Posts: 1,592 Open or 55K Rated Skier
    The Sacramento tournament was the only one I was able to attend. It was really fun. The Grubbs family had free Dutch Bros Coffee for skiers and officials and the site was outstanding.
    Lunch was provided along with free beer and beverages after the tournament. There was an optional dinner which was excellent.
    Cons: Horton
    I learned everything I know not to do from Horton
    ALPJrMattPskidawg
  • HortonHorton Posts: 27,604 Administrator
    @Dirt that beer was not supposed to be free for you. Check your mail for an invoice
    Looking for a healthy snack? Try SuperFat

Support BallOfSpray by supporting the companies that support BallOfSpray

Barts ★ Connelly ★  DBSkis ★ Goode ★ Hobe Lake ★ HO Syndicate 

MasterCraft ★ Masterline ★ MOB ★ Performance Ski and Surf ★ Reflex ★ Radar ★ Stokes

Beastmode
  • skidawgskidawg Posts: 3,281 Open or 55K Rated Skier
    I agree, if someone else would take over these tournaments and get rid of that Horton guy---they would be amazing
    Mr. Mom is Horton's favorite movie!
    HortonDirtMattPBruce_Butterfield
  • aupatkingaupatking Posts: 1,254 Mega Baller
    edited February 2017
    I'll be at 1, if not several of them. @Horton I'm waiting for the site announcements. And this time, I'll be able to stay for the events and after party. I'll also bring you a damn good IPA.
    Horton