Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Connelly Carbon V unboxing & some talk about mid range skis

HortonHorton Posts: 27,848 Administrator
edited November 5 in Skis Fins Bindings

Support BallOfSpray by supporting the companies that support BallOfSpray

Barts ★ Connelly ★  DBSkis ★ Goode ★ Hobe Lake ★ HO Syndicate 

MasterCraft ★ Masterline ★ Performance Ski and Surf ★ Reflex ★ Radar ★ Stokes

Tagged:
pumpinpete

Comments

• HortonHorton Posts: 27,848 Administrator

• WayneWayne Posts: 452 Baller
    @Horton in the video you mentioned taking a look at the mid range skis this year. It sounded like you were going to review a few of them this year. Do you have a list of what you are going to try?
    @Wayne no there is not a list or a plan. You just never know what UPS will deliver.

Wayne
  • JASJAS Posts: 255 Solid Baller
    @Horton Do you consider the HO CX superlite to be a member of the Mid Range group?
  • ALPJrALPJr Posts: 1,896 Mega Baller
    Nice looking ski. It looks like the V's have been reshaped, similar to the GT.
  • JAGJAG Posts: 178 Crazy Baller
    I've been skiing on a V for the past year.

I can't explain the micro-details like some of you guys, but it certainly has more potential than my ability. I came from a F1 and the biggest noticeable change is the reduced drag when free skiing.

And it's easily as fast as my F1 from wake to wake when pushed. I'm pretty happy with it.

My $.02
    Bill22Obrienslalom
    @jas yes.

• ObrienslalomObrienslalom Posts: 67 Baller
    So if I'm transitioning from being a strictly open water skier and trying to focus more on my technique and getting into the course, do I want a mid range ski? Are they more forgiving until I get past 22? Always kind of thought of it as a price thing...basically that I don't need the most expensive technology.
    @Obrienslalom Mid range skis are often better than the very high end skis for your level. Yes mid range skis are cheaper but they are also more stable and forgiving. I do not think it is terrible when a skier learning the course starts out on a top of the line ski but you might advance faster by riding the mid range ski until you have more skills.

Buck
  • Brodie JamesBrodie James Posts: 10 Baller
    I chose a mid range ski thinking it would allow me to progress quicker.

One of the challenges I see is the limited sizing compared to higher end skis. At 200 lbs, I sit at the top of the suggested weighted range for many 67" mid range skis and the bottom of the suggested weight range for 69" skis. At 49 kph/30 mph and 52 kph/32 mph my 69" works great and it is very forgiving. At 55 kph/34 mph which I am working on at present I find that I can not engage the front of the ski and it wants to run straight ahead. This is probably mostly my technique, however at the higher speed I feel like the ski is taking charge. A 68" would probably be a good choice for the next step, which takes you out of the mid range category and into the high end category.

I welcome any thoughts.
  • Connelly_Skis_IncConnelly_Skis_Inc Posts: 43 Water Ski Industry Professional
    Thanks @horton!! Let us know how the fin adjustments go.
  • thagerthager Posts: 4,589 Mega Baller
    Nice review! I am going to leave my sticker on my ski from now on, because @Horton says to " take it off". Oh. nice hat!! Did it say Dekalb corn on it?
    Stir vigorously then leave!
  • ALPJrALPJr Posts: 1,896 Mega Baller
    edited March 2017
    The new crop of mid range skis are really nice options for those of us skiing -35 and below. Another option which I like to consider is going up one size above the manufactures recommended length on a high level ski to add a little surface area stability and take advantage of the latest designs and materials.
    Obrienslalom
    edited March 2017
    I just took my first ride on the Carbon V. Totally impressed. Started out at 28 off 30 mph. Ended up at 34 miles an hour 32 off. Really fun.

Bill22MMHUTKABuck
  • vicvic Posts: 45 Baller
    I am leaving my sticker on just cause.
  • packskipackski Posts: 50 Baller
    The Radar Union is a badass ski. Don't let the term mid range fool ya!