Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

3 clicks on the Mikro-Just and voila!

CaleBurdickCaleBurdick Posts: 57 Open or 55K Rated Skier
The Adam's over at Denali Skis talked me into trying some modifications to my Reflex boot. To account for the change in center of mass I was experiencing I needed to move the front binding back just a wee bit. I was able to move the binding 1/20 of an inch at a time with the Mikro-Just while soaking wet on the platform in between passes. I ended up liking the setup after 3/20. What a valuable tool to have on my ski! I decided to compare the two setups with side by side video. I need to pick up the turning pace for my free skiing though!

MattPHortonthagerBruce_ButterfieldWish9400AdamCordchris55SkiJayRalph Lee

Comments

• Stevie BoyStevie Boy Posts: 2,035 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    I think the Mikro_just is a great thing to have, but it is just a little to expensive for me, as I would want it on both sides of the binding, so will stick with the polymorph for the moment.
    I do understand that without volume it would be hard to get the price down.

When The Going Gets Tough, Get Stoked !

• HortonHorton Posts: 27,889 Administrator
    Only one is needed.

Support BallOfSpray by supporting the companies that support BallOfSpray

Barts ★ Connelly ★  DBSkis ★ Goode ★ Hobe Lake ★ HO Syndicate 

MasterCraft ★ Masterline ★ Performance Ski and Surf ★ Reflex ★ Radar ★ Stokes

CaleBurdick
  • DeanoskiDeanoski Posts: 857 Crazy Baller
    @CaleBurdick what changes did you do the your boots?
  • CaleBurdickCaleBurdick Posts: 57 Open or 55K Rated Skier
    @Deanoski In addition to cutting a lot of plastic out from under the cuff to allow for the cuff to come forward freely and also lowering the height of the cuff and top buckle to decrease shin input, they talked me into forcing the cuff forward about 20 degrees. It takes a few tries and adjustments to get comfortable and even longer to get used to it.
  • CaleBurdickCaleBurdick Posts: 57 Open or 55K Rated Skier

• WishWish Posts: 7,860 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    Yeeup mine is the same now for the most part on 2 different setups. COM forward. To me it just ties in with what they are saying here.

http://tinyurl.com/GUT-103

>>> 11.25..a different kettle of fish. <<<
    CaleBurdick
  • MISkierMISkier Posts: 2,609 Mega Baller
    I've seen that same boot modification in the possession of a skier from Clio, MI.
    The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.
    CaleBurdick
  • taptap Posts: 78 Solid Baller
    Yeah... they have a small following of gullible test dummies, myself included. If you give this mod a go ensure you leave enough edge distance on the plastic shell for the bolts or the first time you release you'll shear the bolts clean out. Good stuff though.
    CaleBurdick
  • MattPMattP Posts: 6,007 Mega Baller
  • gregygregy Posts: 2,583 Mega Baller
    @Stevie Boy I've been using Mikro-Just for over a year. Using Reflex plates front and rear. I have one on each plate. You only need one per plate. If you had one on each side it could cause some problems if you didn't get them in exact symmetry.
    CaleBurdick
  • WishWish Posts: 7,860 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    edited April 2017
    @tap additional bolts near hinge points of upper and lower cuff to carry some of the load and to lock lower to upper cuff. They are placed asymmetrical from on side to the othe based on FF. It's a little more involved then just the plate. Now I need to order my Micro-Just.
    >>> 11.25..a different kettle of fish. <<<
    CaleBurdick
    I may have another look at the mikro_just, I do like it, but my arrangement works OK at the moment, I just have to carry a set of inserts that give me 0.1666 or though I can make them to any measurement, my inserts are binding specific, Mikro_Just is a better option, would have to have spare binding drilled and counter sunk ready for Mikro_Just for easy quick swap out.

CaleBurdick
  • SkiJaySkiJay Posts: 2,314 Mega Baller
    edited April 2017
    The more testing and tuning I do, the more I realize how critical binding placement is—especially to how the ski finishes turns. At the finish of each turn, the ski is rolled up onto such a steep edge (assuming your hips are less than 18" above the water) that the fin has very little effect, and the amount of tail behind your bindings is virtually everything. And the long/shallow fin setups that are so popular right now magnify this effect.

As the ski rolls past 70°, there is little to no fin support

If you turn with your hips within 18" of the water and your ski is over-turning through the finish of turns, move your bindings forward to reduce smear, under-turning, move back. Put another way, if you are running –28 or shorter, you need a way to fine-tune your binding placement or you your are limited to using the fin in ways that can limit the width and space your ski is capable of generating.

Skiers who are shortening the rope are very fortunate to have Mikro-Just as an option.
    www.FinWhispering.com ... Your ski should be your dance partner, not a wrestling opponent
    Skoot1123chris55aupatking
    @Horton you got me in the end, will be fitting Mikro -Just on my binding when I arrive, why spend $2000 on a ski and balk at $80 for a piece of kit that could make life a lot easier.
    Again, Thanks to @SkiJay for the explanation.

• scuppersscuppers Posts: 440 Baller
    @SkiJay What are your findings on twisting the boots?
    Chuck Link, Deland Florida
  • dchristmandchristman Posts: 1,089 Mega Baller
    @Stevie Boy Mikro-just may be easier for front/back adjustment, but Polymorph is still a valuable tool for experimenting! Also, rubber bands off lobster claws are an easy solution to holding the top buckle closed.
    Is it time to ski, yet?