How to attach shock cord to pseudo spongex bouys?

EFWEFW Posts: 103 Baller
edited May 2017 in Other Stuff
Paid $9 a bouy w/free shipping. They are 5" across so a little small but before I run down to the hardware store and rig something to attach the bungee do you guys have a tried and true method? (nothing but a hollow center hole top to bottom)
Thanks

Comments

• Bruce_ButterfieldBruce_Butterfield Posts: 1,444 Mega Baller
    This method works well:

Buoy ties
    I'm Ancient. WTH do I know?
    mmosley899wtrskiorEFW
  • ZmanZman Posts: 1,414 Crazy Baller
    When I used this type of buoy we would fid a loop on the end of a short piece of poly rope, slide the loop about 3 inches into the hole in the bottom of the buoy, then push a galvanized heavy nail through the spongex and throup the loop. Use a nail not long enough to stick out the other side when the head is pushed flush. Quick n simple.
    EFWThan_Bogan
  • MarcoMarco Posts: 1,407 Crazy Baller
    Like @Zman says... galv nail through the bottom, but we go through a short link of chain.
    aupatkingEFW
  • NandoNando Posts: 469 Crazy Baller
    We used PVC pipe caps- drill a hole, thread a rope loop through the cap, tie a large enough knot that it will stay, goop the cap up with epoxy, and push it in. The correct pipe cap will take enough effort to push in that it might stay with friction, but the epoxy keeps them in. Ours lasted for years without a failure, while the ones with nails sometimes worked loose over time.
    EFWWish
  • Chef23Chef23 Posts: 5,839 Mega Baller
    We do what @Zman said also. Quick cheap and reliable.
    Mark Shaffer
    EFW
  • daryldaryl Posts: 22 Baller
    i haven't personally tried it but there is some info at Skiertoskier

link

looks like it might work ok.
    EFW
  • EFWEFW Posts: 103 Baller
    @Bruce_Butterfield
    Thanks Bruce, I was looking right at that and never even saw it
    @Zman now I know what that rusty metal was sticking inside
    edited May 2017
    Thanks guys preciate it. Never had these before I'll give them a try. If these start disappearing I'll go back to rubber. The Price is Right
    Mick04
  • EdbrazilEdbrazil Posts: 1,396 Historical Baller
    @Nando 's idea works well, and is relatively EZ to do. Just use a PVC endcap that needs
    a press fit to go in. Plus glue. I've used solvent glue.
    EFW
    @Edbrazil
    Thanks Ed. Appreciate it.
    Of course it works @Edbrazil , I learned from the master...
  • EdbrazilEdbrazil Posts: 1,396 Historical Baller
    I also have a way of fidding up a loop of line that goes over and through the buoy, but
    it is a bit time-consuming. Method needs to cut 2 notches in the buoy.
  • BrennanKMNBrennanKMN Posts: 405 Crazy Baller
    I use those style buoys for boat guides on my course.

I go to the hardware store and get 3/4" PCV and epoxy. Lather up the pipe with epoxy and slide it into the hole of the buoy. Then after it drys cut it to the desired length and drill a hole in the end of the PVC.

I hate the ones with metal in them. I always take the metal out and replace it with some PVC.
    @BrennanKM, I think it's a MN technique...