Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How big a difference does 1 inch make?

arogersarogers Posts: 8 Baller
Hey Folks,
I'm 6 ft/150 lb (62 years) and mostly free ski, looking for a new ski. I was on the fence whether to get 65 or 66 in but decided on 66. I know all skis are different, etc, but I bought a used Strada that was supposed to be 66 in. When it arrived it was actually 67.

The question for the group is whether it's worth the effort to return it and find a true 66 or just learn to ski on this 67? How much difference can an inch make? I skied a couple of passes on the 67 and it felt hard to turn, but how much difference will one inch less make.

Just curious what everyone's opinion is...thanks

Andy
Tagged:

Comments

• Ski_DadSki_Dad Posts: 396 Baller
    edited June 2018
    shouldn't make that much difference for free skiing. Try moving your front binding up one hole.

EDIT - guess I gave some wrong advice here. I just don't ski as fast as most of you
    JWebSki
  • andjulesandjules Posts: 820 Crazy Baller
    Before returning it, the other thing to try is lowering your boat speed. If (for example) you ski at 34mph, try 31 or 32. You may find the 67 sits a little deeper in the turn and turns more naturally.
  • mopowpowmopowpow Posts: 318 Baller
    You can also move the fin forward to tighten the turn radius.
    aupatking
  • HortonHorton Posts: 27,854 Administrator
    @arogers return it

Support BallOfSpray by supporting the companies that support BallOfSpray

Barts ★ Connelly ★  DBSkis ★ Goode ★ Hobe Lake ★ HO Syndicate 

MasterCraft ★ Masterline ★ Performance Ski and Surf ★ Reflex ★ Radar ★ Stokes

• Bill22Bill22 Posts: 1,619 Crazy Baller
    I am in your same weight range. Any 67” is too much ski unless you are skiing 28mph or under. My 2 cents.
    In gear. Hit It. Thank You!
  • IlivetoskiIlivetoski Posts: 1,185 Crazy Baller
    Does it say 67 on it or did you take a tape measure to it? Skis don’t exactly measure out to what they are marketed as
    ISP6ballBill22
  • LeonLLeonL Posts: 2,348 Crazy Baller
    Kinda depends on what speed you ski.
    Leon Leonard Stillwater Lake KY - SR Driver SR Judge
  • FSSPCatFSSPCat Posts: 122 Baller
    I'd return it.
  • BraceMakerBraceMaker Posts: 3,799 Mega Baller
    @LeonL I tried that going up in length to slow down. But now I'd say there are better options. I might go up a length if borderline and going 32 but if you demo some of the new "shapers" they don't have that big ski feel that long skis do.
  • Chef23Chef23 Posts: 5,962 Mega Baller
    I would return it. You didn't get what you expected and unless you are thrilled with it I would return it.
    Mark Shaffer
  • arogersarogers Posts: 8 Baller
    OK, plenty of opinions...which is why BOS is cool.
    I appreciate all the tips on how to adjust the performance of the 67, but I've been on a 65 inch HO for the last 30 years and 67 just seems too big (the serial nbr identifies it as 67). Not really interested in slowing down just to make a ski work, so I'm thinking I will happier with 66.

Thanks for all the input!
    Andreandjules
  • Ed_JohnsonEd_Johnson Posts: 2,118
    @arogers...Just for the hell of it, try bindings full forward and fin full forward, with wing at 9 degrees. If that doesn't work, then return it.
    Special Thanks to Performance Ski and Surf and the Denali Adam's !!!
  • Ski_DadSki_Dad Posts: 396 Baller
    you never said how fast you are skiing ?
  • dchristmandchristman Posts: 1,089 Mega Baller
    Nothing says you need to send it back to get another one :) ... more is better.
    Is it time to ski, yet?
  • aspskiaspski Posts: 184 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    @jimbrake You beat me to it haha. I was surprised this wasn't the first comment
    keithh2oskierjimbrake
  • MISkierMISkier Posts: 2,600 Mega Baller
    The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.
    jimbrakeaspskiDaveD
  • jimbrakejimbrake Posts: 1,308 Mega Baller
    @aspski - right? I had to double-check the thread 'cause I was sure someone would have gone there already.
    "...all of the basic fun banter"
    aspski
  • ZmanZman Posts: 1,512 Crazy Baller
    So an inch matters. And, more is better. So much to learn on BOS!
    dchristman
  • Justin_CJustin_C Posts: 226 Baller
    I must say, given some of the other threads I've read, the maturity on this one astounds me!
  • ScottScottScottScott Posts: 851 Crazy Baller
    Dang, i tuned in to this thread for a laugh.....thanks at least to @jimbrake
  • aupatkingaupatking Posts: 1,288 Mega Baller
    That’s a pretty big ski for your weight. Like a couple guys have said, move the fin forward. Be aware that the leading edge of the fin being too forward will make the nose of the ski grab, or over-engage. And the Distance From Tail being too great, you’ll start blowing out the tail. That said, if you move the fin way forward, you may want to bring the tip in some. Having a ski that’s longer than your weight range suggests is not always bad. It is less stress on your body, but if you can’t turn it, you return it.
  • arogersarogers Posts: 8 Baller
    Thanks again everyone! I managed to get some good advice AND provide entertainment to the masses!
  • UWSkierUWSkier Posts: 1,204 Mega Baller
    Then there's the Nate Smith argument. Conventional wisdom says he's on a ski that's too big for him and he does OK...