Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Trickers are a little crazy

HortonHorton Posts: 27,872 Administrator

Support BallOfSpray by supporting the companies that support BallOfSpray

Barts ★ Connelly ★  DBSkis ★ Goode ★ Hobe Lake ★ HO Syndicate 

MasterCraft ★ Masterline ★ Performance Ski and Surf ★ Reflex ★ Radar ★ Stokes

bigskieridahoConorski6jonesLZywicki1Than_BoganWishGloersenschaferJordanBulldogklindyBroussardbojansjimskieleeskiBG1GusRAK

Comments

• Than_BoganThan_Bogan Posts: 6,476 Mega Baller
    I don't think I quite understand how that's possible, which of course makes it all the more impressive.

Feels like it needs a DON'T TRY THIS subtitle, though...
    Nathaniel Bogan -- GUT Padawan
    andjulesski6jones
  • TustinTomTustinTom Posts: 101 Baller
    @Than_Bogan , this has been/was/is being done by Wakesurfer's. They never have to get wet. Start by standing on your board on the rear deck, let out the rope until you are in the pocket, drop the rope and surf. Then have the boat stop and surf back to the rear deck. All without getting wet.
    If our ski day involves "family/kids", we bring the Wakesurf gear. For obvious reasons, I don't let anyone surf without a life vest or surf back to the deck - no matter how many times they say they saw it on YouTube.
  • Than_BoganThan_Bogan Posts: 6,476 Mega Baller
    Oh (duh) the boat stops! Wow, I am dumb.
    Nathaniel Bogan -- GUT Padawan
    Bruce_ButterfieldAndreRazorRoss3
  • HortonHorton Posts: 27,872 Administrator
    edited February 2018
    @Than_Bogan I had to watch it more than once to figure it out. The boat does not "stop" - it slows down just the right amount. I would guess it took a number of trys.

• dbutcherdbutcher Posts: 322 Solid Baller
    Good trick skiing, better boat driving, no doubt fun, and a little bit dangerous.
    ISP6ballski6jones
  • Chef23Chef23 Posts: 5,962 Mega Baller
    It looks cool but scares the crap out of me. I hate seeing someone ski towards a turning prop.
    Mark Shaffer
  • HortonHorton Posts: 27,872 Administrator
    edited February 2018
    @Chef23

Not saying this is a good idea but the odds of somebody getting dangerously close to the prop in this way seems technically very unlikely

RazorRoss3ISP6ballWaterSkier12
  • bigskieridahobigskieridaho Posts: 940 Crazy Baller
    I start and stop on the deck when surfing, but on a tricker that is crazy!
    @Horton probably true. If you fell it would be hard to get under the boat.
    Mark Shaffer
  • dbutcherdbutcher Posts: 322 Solid Baller
    But you could slam your head into the platform.
  • GloersenGloersen Posts: 919 Crazy Baller
    It's part of the TSR system - a Nautique exclusive option for 2018
  • chrislandychrislandy Posts: 46 Baller
    bit late to the party, Nicolas LeForestier and Patrice Martin used to do this at the end of their passes. Jump off the dock to start, handle and toe passes then pull in and jump on the platform, not even getting their shorts wet.
  • BraceMakerBraceMaker Posts: 3,804 Mega Baller
    I have some serious soul searching - I don't think I could slide any where near that far and trying to learn it would probably piss my driver off!
    Just watched that video again. The boat is moving pretty quick for a trick ski.
    Mark Shaffer
  • UWSkierUWSkier Posts: 1,207 Mega Baller
    That's nutty. Have done similar on the surf board but on a trick, no chance.
  • ShererSkierShererSkier Posts: 139 Baller
    Crazy, I'm not sure I'd try that on anything!

@Chef23 how fast do you go for trick? I've been interested in trick ever since Horton posted about the new women's record. How long of rope too?
    @ShererSkier it kind of depends on how big you are and what sizes ski. Generally somewhere between 15 and 20 mph. My son is 180 lbs on a 43” ski and tricks at 18.7. I haven’t tricked in a couple of years when I was 230 I was on a 45” trick and tricked around 20 mph.

Rope lengths are generally in the 45 fool length range.
    Mark Shaffer
  • EdbrazilEdbrazil Posts: 1,396 Historical Baller
    Back in the 1980s, reportedly the Larsen twins would trick without ever getting in the water. Start on the platform, and their dad would let the rope out hand over hand. And, then pull them back in when their session was finished. Maybe just in the cool/cold Winter water in Florida. Sounds less dangerous than the video clip above.
  • MoffattraMoffattra Posts: 63 Baller
    I got to watch them ski at their home site once. They would dock start, trick, then ski back to the dock, where one of the metal pole dock legs was extended a few feet higher so they could grab on and swing elegantly up on to the dock with out ever getting wet. The 10 year old me, watching this from the boat, fell instantly in love...
  • BraceMakerBraceMaker Posts: 3,804 Mega Baller
    @Moffattra I'm sure it was their dock starts that appealed.
  • klindyklindy Posts: 2,303 Mega Baller
    @Edbrazil Sally Monnier would do something similar. Her dad, Cecil when she was done skiing he would simply pull in the rope until she stepped on the platform and into the boat. Watched her ski up and down the lake doing countless tricks and never got wet about the knees.
    Keith Lindemulder
    AWSA Vice President
    AWSA Southern Region EVP
    I always fell too much to do that.
    Mark Shaffer
    DaveD
  • MoffattraMoffattra Posts: 63 Baller
    @BraceMaker I'll admit, it was a combination of factors