Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Boat Mate trailer problems Ski Nautique 200 OB

DSPDSP Posts: 26 Baller
Is there a retro fit from Boat Mate for their Ski Nautique 200 trailer?

If I sink the trailer a little too deep, the boat bow comes in under the trailer bow stop resulting in gel coat damage.

If I put it in just right, I have to crank it on resulting in more gel coat damage from the bunks because the trailer is out of the water more than it should be.

Even when I get bunks wet, the hull gets all marked up.

Maybe I just need a boat lift and a boat house now? Seems excessive for what the trailer cost.
jimskiJcp

Comments

• oldjeepoldjeep Posts: 3,430 Mega Baller
    There is a whole thread about this somewhere. Seems that for some reason Nautique orders their trailers without the forward set of bunks. Might try some liquid rollers on the bunks, just make sure you are running transom straps and a safety chain on the bow if you use that stuff.
    Chuck P
    Not a mechanic but I play one at home
    DSP
  • BlueSkiBlueSki Posts: 685 Crazy Baller
    Try going deep to catch the bow, hook up the strap, and slowly pull the trailer out of the water to the point where the bow rises and the spray chines are above the bunks. Then you can crank the boat to the bow stop. Definitely an extra PITA, but this avoids pressuring the spray chines against the bunks. Depending on the model year, Boatmate puts them in a less than ideal place.
    DSP
  • skiinxsskiinxs Posts: 556 Crazy Baller
    What year is the trailer?
  • Pat MPat M Posts: 683 Crazy Baller
    I have the 2018 Pro model for my 200SN. It is rubbing the gel coat off my front chins. The bunk sits right under the chin. I don't trailer the boat much but would like to. It sits mostly on my lift during the season. The damage was done from the few times I have used it.
    All this being said I have been in contact with Boatmate and they are working on a fix and are nearly done with it (so they tell me). They are working with Nautique on the final go through. They said they want to fix it once and fix it right before releasing it. They had a similar problem with the new SN also and they know the 200 is now not going away. They have been responsive to my emails and calls. Now I just need to be patient for the fix that I hope is coming
    DSP
  • DSPDSP Posts: 26 Baller
    2016 Boat & trailer. Thanks BlueSki
  • BobEBobE Posts: 17 Baller
    Boatmate has a fix for the problem. It is a cross member bolted on with an adjustable wide roller to take the weight off the bunks under the spray chines.
    DSP
    I’ll call them again Monday. Thanks BobE!
    Pretty interesting:

Monday morning I had an email from Boatmate apologizing for the inconvenience. I haven’t heard from them in many months until bringing this up again here.

They are working on their “3rd iteration”. Trying to get it approved by Nautique.

Either it’s a fantastic coincidence or the BOS forum is important to industry insiders.

Either way, I’m just hoping for a speedy & effective resolution and really appreciate BOS & all of you paying attention.
  • BobEBobE Posts: 17 Baller
    I think Horton’s site is got it going on👍🏻
    DSPBulldog
  • CCPD3CCPD3 Posts: 4 New Baller
    I have also been in contact with BoatMate regarding damage to the hull. They have been very fast to respond to all emails and also ensure the fix is near. I have a black hull on my boat so it shows it all. I have had the gel repaired over the winter so I will be only floating the boat on and off for now. Not so fun in cold water.
    rayn
  • jetpilotg4jetpilotg4 Posts: 290 Baller
    Wow Mine has been driving we crazy also. 2012 Trailer and SN 200, I just thought it was me..... anyone have the price for the fix?
  • JordanJordan Posts: 1,177 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    $80,000+ boat that has been out since 2010 and they can't get the trailer right? SMH
    Andrerockdog
  • YeaitssloYeaitsslo Posts: 14 New Baller
    Having a trailer made now. Wonder if it’ll have problems.
    edited May 3
    Boatmate said mine was a boat problem due to air voids and Nautique said it was a trailer problem due to bunk design. Neither did a damn thing to help. I footed the bill. Your bill will vary with the hours of work involved. If you are lucky, you might not have a comma in the invoice amount. Fortunately we have a good fiberglass shop in the area and it looks like new. The boat is also on a Phoenix trailer now, much better bunk pattern. The promo guy helped, he got the trailers swapped. We never power loaded.
    ScarletArrow
  • skierjpskierjp Posts: 751 Crazy Baller
    I’ve had 9 200’s on tandem RamLin trailers with the upright bow stop and never had a problem. FYI, this is not a “power load” boat or trailer like the 196!
  • Jody_SealJody_Seal Posts: 2,772 Mega Baller
    Yea one cant power load a new ski nautique nor any of the 200s. Float on float off..

Love my 196!
    Hobby Boats can be expensive when the hobbyist is limited on their own skill and expertise.

• jjackkrashjjackkrash Posts: 568 Crazy Baller
    It is the hull design; good for skiing, bad for loading on trailer bunks.
    BlueSki
    Spray tire shine, silicon or WD-40 on the bunks from the axel forward. Makes all the difference in the world.
    CAUTION, once you do this never unhook the boat winch from the trailer before launching and never pull out of the ramp after loading without attaching the trailer winch. If you do you will be calling a crane company to pick your boat off the ramp!!!!
    BlueSki
    @skierjp, definitely a good call. The silicone spray has worked well for me too.
  • jercranejercrane Posts: 287 Crazy Baller
    OK so whats the latest here then? Does Boatmate have a fix or not? Is it worth calling them at this point or are they going to tell me to go pound sand?
    @jercrane It is getting old. Time for them to Sh*t or get off the pot
    I don't believe there is a bunk trailer made that will "fix" the issue if you want to powerload, short of making the bunks too slippery to hold the boat in place without restraints (skierjp's fix). There just isn't a good way to avoid rubbing and friction where the chines meet the bunks and rubbing and friction will eventually remove the gelcoat.
    skierjp
    @jjackkrash I float my boat on and off. Problem is the bunks sit right under small front chin. Solution would be to move the bunks away from the chins. I also don’t see owners of other trailers (not Boatmate) complaining. I have 45 hours on my boat and it spends 95% of the time on my lift. This still is happening to me. This is a trailer problem through and through.
    I don't have a boat mate and the gel wore off my chines. And I have watched it load from about every angle and it rubs at every angle. A total float on is a PITA and has its own disadvantages. I now do a modified power load that involves some cranking on the winch at the end which minimizes but doesn't eliminate the friction on the chines when I load. And I mostly stopped worrying about it. It doesn't leak and the gel damage isn't structural and I don't look down there that often.
    Google Ultimate Bunk Boards. I think this would be the fix. FYI Boatmate now has a keel roller for the 2019 Ski Nautique
    jjackkrash
  • skiinxsskiinxs Posts: 556 Crazy Baller
    Here is the new design...
    Wonder if that would work for the 200? Looks like a step in the right direction
    It’s been a month since I spoke up about this and while Boat Mate sent me one email, I’ve heard nothing new from them other than they are waiting for Nautique to approve their design. Meanwhile, float it on deep, catch it, hook it, drive out three to five feet to lift it up, crank it the least I must to get the bow over the bow stop, drop it back in, crank it some more...ugh. And yet I see pics from skiinxs and others with the fix. How do I get it done? These guys need to their stuff together.
    I received a helpful email this week. It seems they are trying to get this resolved:

We have not sent out any of the linear braces yet. We sent one of the first renditions to Skip Dunlop to test out for us, but that is the only one. I have been pushing our administrative team to get these things ready to ship and we hit a snag. We got the first manufactured pieces from our suppliers and found the measurements they used were incorrect according to the drawing we supplied. We returned those and are awaiting our second batch. The trailers you may be seeing are the newer 200 or Ski Nautiques that have the roller welded to a cross member. Those are the updated version we have worked into our 2019 and 2020 design. With your trailer being and older version, you will require the linear brace that runs vertically between cross members.

I know this has been a long drawn out process and I know this is an issue for many. I have tried to get my administrative team to get this thing released, and they have not authorized me to send these units out. They are trying to make sure the braces will be absolutely correct before they ship them. I apologize again, but my hands are tied up in waiting on my supervisors (Owner and VP) to release the braces.