Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

recommendations to buy ilmor oil filter

LoopSkiLoopSki Posts: 533 Crazy Baller
anyone have a good place to order oil filterd? don't feel like driving to dealer. found a few places online but I haven't heard of them before so I don't want risk waiting a month to get it

Comments

• KelvinKelvin Posts: 1,149 Mega Baller
    Just buy the wix/napa equivalent at your local auto parts store.
    Kelvin Kelm, Lakes of Katy, Katy Texas
    Pat MoldjeepaupatkingThomasAlive
  • Ski_DadSki_Dad Posts: 395 Baller
    +1 on wix - also available at OReily's Auto
  • markchilcuttmarkchilcutt Posts: 933 Crazy Baller
    +2 on the wix or equivalent from my local napa store.
    Ski it if you can!!!!
    I've also ordered the Wix from www.rockauto.com - got here in a few days - i keep a stash in my basement.
  • BraceMakerBraceMaker Posts: 3,787 Mega Baller
    I subscribe to my oil and filters on amazon for whatever quantity and interval the vehicle needs. Generally the boats are every 6 months and so one arrives in late August for winterization and the other shows up in spring which hangs till mid summer.
  • lottawattalottawatta Posts: 123 Baller
    It is rumored that the ilmor is just a rebranded K&N filter. Holding them in my hand, they looked and felt identical. K&N is available online at jegs or summit. I found k&N at my local walmart.
  • LoopSkiLoopSki Posts: 533 Crazy Baller
    edited June 11
    . i was told it had to be a ilmor and no cross reference , figures
  • pcmcon729pcmcon729 Posts: 52 Baller
    After paying more than I was comfortable with for an oil filter for my 5.7 Ilmor, I emailed Ilmor engineers and got a phone call back. This IS NOT a GM filter for this engine, as it is mounted remotely, and not on the block. They explained to me that it is a high end product for a high end performance engine. He told me not to use anything else. He had nothing to gain by up-selling, and I felt he was knowledgeable and honest. I only use the Ilmor filter. If I can't get to the dealer, I have them ship me 2 years worth to distribute the shipping cost. BTW, the price per filter has gone down substantially since my first boat with the Ilmor. I have reached out to the engineers several times with other questions, as I perform 90% of repairs myself, and they couldn't be more helpful. The Ilmor and the Mastercraft product are top notch in every regard.
    dvskiing
  • HortonHorton Posts: 27,762 Administrator

Support BallOfSpray by supporting the companies that support BallOfSpray

Barts ★ Connelly ★  DBSkis ★ Goode ★ Hobe Lake ★ HO Syndicate 

MasterCraft ★ Masterline ★ Performance Ski and Surf ★ Reflex ★ Radar ★ Stokes

oldjeepskibugaupatkingSki_Dad
  • swc5150swc5150 Posts: 2,255 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    waterskis.com will ship you the filter fast. Even with the K&N HP2010 looking strikingly similar, I prefer (preferred) the peace of mind of having the OEM.
    Scott Calderwood
    OEM is smart but.... Amazon

swc5150BraceMakerskibug
  • ScottScottScottScott Posts: 840 Crazy Baller
  • skimtbskimtb Posts: 265 Baller
    Need someone to saw one of each down the middle and post pics...
  • skibugskibug Posts: 2,039
    There is a cross reference for the part number, look here:

https://www.oilfilter-crossreference.com/
    Bob Grizzi
  • dbutcherdbutcher Posts: 321 Solid Baller
    If the Ilmor remote filter location still puts the filter upside down (like it did in 2014), I was told that whatever filter you use should have an anti flow back valve. You don't want the the filter to drain each time you shut off the engine and therefore have to refill (and delay lubrication to the engine) each time you start the engine.
    DanEDWswc5150
  • syndicatesyndicate Posts: 21 Baller
    mobil one oil and an m210 filter work perfect on a 6.2 Ilmor
  • LeonLLeonL Posts: 2,345 Crazy Baller
    What idiot engineer would put a filter upside down when using a remote location? Remote makes it pretty easy to mount any way you want. Upside down, duh.
    Leon Leonard Stillwater Lake KY - SR Driver SR Judge
    Jody_SealAndredbutcher
    edited June 12
    @LeonL Its actually a pretty slick part - has an oil drip containment with a barbed fitting.

I'd add one to my boat.
  • oldjeepoldjeep Posts: 3,428 Mega Baller
    Looks like a dirt trap. It would be so easy to mount it the other way so that you could just drop the filter into a coffee can or ziplock.
    Chuck P
    Not a mechanic but I play one at home
    @oldjeep get it. Would be a problem on a car but in a boat I think it's fine. Because it has a drain you could easily spritz around with some solvent then wipe with a cloth.
  • DanEDanE Posts: 883 Crazy Baller
    @dbutcher A quality valve as well.
    Big difference between quality brands and cheap ones.
  • swc5150swc5150 Posts: 2,255 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    The Ilmor 5.7 is the easiest and cleanest oil change I've ever done, with the oil filter being mounted upside down. Anyone who has changed the oil on an old Indmar LT1 will greatly appreciate it.
    Scott Calderwood
    Horton
  • ForrestGumpForrestGump Posts: 6,052
    edited June 12
    Are we really complaining about a $20 recommended filter price, which gets changed twice a year?
    Shane "Crash" Hill

swc5150
    Horton is not going to steer you wrong - get that Wix - it has the anti-drain back valve and will be every bit as good as the Ilmor filter (which happens to be a K & N HP-2010)

http://wixfilters.com/Lookup/InterchangeMultiSearch.aspx?q=MV8V-1021&o=me
  • DWDW Posts: 2,022 Mega Baller
    Anti drain back for the upside down application and high burst pressure are two good criteria not to compromise on a ski boat oil filter. Why the latter, ski boats tend to run up to elevated RPM well before the oil is at a stabilized operating temperature or specifically when the oil is at a high viscosity. The truck filter which tends to be the larger filter for the specific filter mount is also a good option providing plenty of filter material. The oil filter business model is a couple of sources doing multiple branding, plenty of information online detailing common filters painted different colors.
    Cent
  • The_MSThe_MS Posts: 5,254 Mega Baller
    K & N 2010 at Walmart.
    Shut up and ski
    Drew_Wright_OBXtoFl
  • ski6jonesski6jones Posts: 977 Mega Baller
    Oil is one of those topics people can get totally irrational about.
    Carl Addington, Lakes of Katy, Texas
    Andre
    @BoneHead twice a year? I have already changed my oil twice this year.

• skimtbskimtb Posts: 265 Baller
    @Horton Not fair to those of us that get by with one oil change / year....
  • skiinxsskiinxs Posts: 555 Crazy Baller
    I average 5 changes/ year and really like the K&N filters. (on PCM)