Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How do YOU define/measure your PB/PR?

mfjaegersrmfjaegersr Posts: 156 Baller
I'm curious to see the numbers here, given the different measuring sticks.

How do YOU define/measure your PB/PR? 109 votes

Tournaments only; the one 'true' gauge
41%
auskierthagerteammalibuJohn BrooksMrJones9400DragoToddLlpskierMarkTimmeyepeelersantangelogjohnsonunksskisdvskiingDavidPBbrandauThe_MSaussiemcjcamp 45 votes
Practice counts - but only in succession; ie 32, 35, 38, [email protected] for @Horton
14%
skidawgA_BKillerLakeOneSkierskiinxsVONMANdavid_skicustomskiBraceMakerMattLRAWSkiballsohardFatPierreDavidNski603Simpson 16 votes
Practice counts - at any point; off the dock, after a missed attempt, etc.
25%
DaveDAndreBobFGarnJerry44DaveLemonsescmanazeBMG73gsm_peterBrennanKMNkingshreddDanohemlockTELdavid_quailHighAltitudeMuskokaKyjriester33Obrienslalomhockeyref74 28 votes
Other? - please describe!
18%
HortonRogerdislandChef23CamThan_Boganbrodyraynjayskibishop8950akale15gregyTheBigHeadBlueSkiaupatkingJWebSkikeithh2oskierScottScottMoffattraLobonator 20 votes

Comments

• eyepeelereyepeeler Posts: 170 Baller
    You should always ski your best in tournaments if you make your practice as tough as a tournament. Always set your course to actual measurements, not minimal tolerances. Always try to ski with a nice head/tail wind of around 10 mph. Try to ski on a public lake if possible. Have your practice driver drive straight instead of sorry a$$ swerving.
    Matt Dillon
  • gregygregy Posts: 2,583 Mega Baller
    I rarely ski tournaments so I have a practice PB and a tournament PB. I work weekends a lot. If I ever get to where I can qualify for nationals I ski more tournaments.
  • HortonHorton Posts: 27,848 Administrator
    edited July 8
    Tournament scores have most value for higher level skiers. Practice PB is great to a point.

Support BallOfSpray by supporting the companies that support BallOfSpray

Barts ★ Connelly ★  DBSkis ★ Goode ★ Hobe Lake ★ HO Syndicate 

MasterCraft ★ Masterline ★ Performance Ski and Surf ★ Reflex ★ Radar ★ Stokes

bishop8950brodyballsohard
  • bishop8950bishop8950 Posts: 1,139 Open or 55K Rated Skier
    What @ScottScott said.

I keep track of both. I only really value the practice PB if it’s a tournament format set.

When someone asks me “what is your PB?” I always think/say my tournament PB.
  • Chef23Chef23 Posts: 5,962 Mega Baller
    I have a practice PB and a tournament PB. I do differentiate them though.
    Mark Shaffer
    Luv2Ski
  • aupatkingaupatking Posts: 1,288 Mega Baller
    edited July 9
    One for practice, one for tournament. The practice PB matters to me, the tournament PB matters. And practice PB must be in succession. No misses
    MattPLuv2Skimbabiash
  • hemlockhemlock Posts: 146 Baller
    I think both tournament scores and practice scores count. They should be separate though.
    I will always remember my best ball count at a tournament, and I will always remember the hardest ball I ever got around.
    This may be strange, but as an over 35 year old, I also count 6 at 28'off 58K, the same as 6 at 32'off 55K.
    customski
    FYI 4.5 @ 39 would be a huge PB for me

Luv2Ski
  • MISkierMISkier Posts: 2,600 Mega Baller
    @hemlock, you should count those passes the same. They are the same point value. And, they are fairly equivalent. My 36 and 34 PBs are the exact same point value, just one loop apart.
    The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.
    mfjaegersr
  • mfjaegersrmfjaegersr Posts: 156 Baller
    I know...and we’re all pulling for you, @Horton. ‘If you can get 2, you can get 4...’
  • mfjaegersrmfjaegersr Posts: 156 Baller
    And I wish I’d have thought of adding the split personality - BOTH - option...before it was too late to edit. 🤦‍♂️
  • A_BA_B Posts: 4,145 Mega Baller
    Practice counts - but only in succession; ie 32, 35, 38, [email protected] for @Horton
    Agree with a practice and a tournament PB, as long as it is in tolerance in practice with a good boat path, and successive.
  • dislanddisland Posts: 1,322 Mega Baller
    all of the above
    Dave Island- Princeton Lakes
    BrennanKMN
  • John BrooksJohn Brooks Posts: 367 Crazy Baller
    Using tournaments keeps me from needing to keep track of my skiing. I have to keep track of lots of numbers for my work and don't ever want to need to do it for my addiction, water skiing. I do make mental notes of how practice is going.
  • DaveLemonsDaveLemons Posts: 26 Baller
    I haven’t skied a tournament in 2 years. But my PB is the same for practice and tournaments so it makes it easier when someone asks 😬
    davestaxidermystudio.com
    Where people get grumpy on this subject is when a skier claims some astronomical practice PB but doesn't have a vaguely similar tournament PB or any tournament scores.

Bruce_ButterfieldBongommosley899
  • BrennanKMNBrennanKMN Posts: 486 Crazy Baller
    edited July 9
    I keep track of both my best run under any condition and my best run when skiing down the line in succession. They are pretty close for me. I also have a 34mph and 36 mph PB, oddly enough they are within 1 ball of each other.

I am sure if I skied tournaments I'd keep track of that PB too, but I enjoy skiing and goofing around with my buddies more. That is why I am fully on board with @TEL making a new PB is way more fun than telling someone it doesn't count because they missed the previous pass.
  • keithh2oskierkeithh2oskier Posts: 528 Crazy Baller
    It doesn't really matter since I am so far off from where my PB once was. Maybe I need to think about judging my PB around BC (Before Children) and AD (After Daddy). IE 5 BC I was midway into -35 at 36 mph and 4 AD I am going slower and still not into the blue rope length

Also my last tournament (class C or above) was like a decade ago in college and I have no intentions of doing those anymore.
    Moffattra
  • MoffattraMoffattra Posts: 63 Baller
    In ascending order of buoy count:

Tournament PB

Practice PB

After several beers and talking to pretty girls PB
  • RogerRoger Posts: 1,555 Crazy Baller
    Tournament PB and Practice PB.
    Roger B. Clark - Okeeheelee skier. Senior driver, Senior Judge
  • CamCam Posts: 320 Solid Baller
    Tournament PB first and foremost.
    practice PB off the dock.
    Practice PB without missing a pass but back to back earlier pass.
    Practice PB only counts with video or a driver who I know didn't help me, I have ran some great scores where the driver did most of it for me.
  • jetpilotg4jetpilotg4 Posts: 290 Baller
    SO how's everyone's Practice PB compare to their Tournament PB?

My Tournament PB is about 90% of my Practice PB, although I haven't skied in a tournament since last year

@horton what about the turn and Burn formats that show up occasionally? I always feel like its cheating when they have those at a tournament.
  • MrJonesMrJones Posts: 1,770 Open or 55K Rated Skier
    I really don't see how you can argue against tournaments being the measure of your PB. That is if you ski tournaments. If not then there is that...
    Drago
    @jetpilotg4

w/ turn & burn you still have to run the previous pass to get credit for a score at the pass you can't run.

• aupatkingaupatking Posts: 1,288 Mega Baller
    My tournament PB is a full pass lower than my practice PB. My tournament PB is actually about 3 balls under my practice average. I think I need to ski more tournaments. Then I get my ski partner @Simpson to ski his first tournament and he goes out and sets his real PB (tournament or practice) in his first tournament ever.
    schafer
  • brodybrody Posts: 304 Baller
    What @ScottScott said. I only did a few tournaments and don’t do them at all now so otherwise I wouldn’t have a pb!
  • LobonatorLobonator Posts: 66 Baller
    I usually score my PB by the three A’s. Angle. Amplitude. Awesomeness when it comes to spray.
    jetpilotg4Killer
  • RogerRoger Posts: 1,555 Crazy Baller
    Tournament PB: [email protected], Practice PB: [email protected]
    Roger B. Clark - Okeeheelee skier. Senior driver, Senior Judge