Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Water Ski Podcast

LuzzLuzz Posts: 337 Open or 55K Rated Skier

Ballers,

So after a few months of thinking whether it was a good idea to do this, if I had time, and all the usual considerations… I decided quite ignorantly to open a Podcast about skiing.

The idea is to post on Tuesdays. I am going to strive for weekly episodes, but there might be the occasional gap week.
I decided to do Tuesday as it tends to be the "grayest" day, generally consisting of driving to work/school/etc thinking about how far the weekend is. Hopefully hearing about skiing on your ride to these activities can be a pleasant experience.

I recorded the first episode this week. The easiest way to listen to it for now is to go on thewaterskipodcast.com. I have submitted the podcast to all the major providers, such as Apple Podcast, Google Play, Spotify, and Stitcher. While Apple is still reviewing, the others have already accepted it. I'm told that it is already searchable on Google Play and Stitcher, hopefully the other two will be available soon.

Please be patient. This will be a "learn as you go" project. Also, feel free to let me know if you have suggestions.

One of the sections I want to host fairly frequently is a questions from listeners thing I skillfully named "Question Time". If you care to hear what I think about anything skiing-related, feel free to shoot me a message here.

I'll keep you guys posted whenever The Water Ski Podcast will be available on Apple Podcasts (soon hopefully).
Host of The Water Ski Podcast
Organizer of the San Gervasio Pro Am (recap videos from 2019, 2018, 2017, 2016, 2015, and 2014)
Co-organizer of the Jolly Clinics
See what I am up to on Twitter and Instagram.
jcampGloersenChef23ALPJrMattPgsm_peterCooper_TrelawneyDavidNMike GilecustomskiKillerKRoundyJ3ballsohardThomasAliverobmollysilverlake9400BMG73BlueSkiWishsantangeloJWebSkiBill22DaveDparkerc2112vtmechengslalomJordanZmanskihartdbaconazBulldogvtjcFWinterz_skierdislandMickskijayskiJerry44quinneGaryWilkinsonSkoot1123

Comments

• ALPJrALPJr Posts: 1,899 Mega Baller
    Super cool! Thanks @luzz
    Luzz
  • Cooper_TrelawneyCooper_Trelawney Posts: 102 Baller
    This is really good @Luzz. With the decline and closing of skifly's forum and of course no more Waterski Magazine, another source of information and entertainment in the ski world is much welcomed!
    Luzz
  • BraceMakerBraceMaker Posts: 3,814 Mega Baller
    edited August 29
    @Cooper_Trelawney didn't that thing die years ago?

Instagram is the new skifly

Waterski mag still emails me. If you buy a new Malibu it will help your slalom .
    WaterSkier12
  • LuzzLuzz Posts: 337 Open or 55K Rated Skier
    edited August 30

Looks like the podcast is available on Apple iTunes and Podcast app ;)
    Organizer of the San Gervasio Pro Am (recap videos from 2019, 2018, 2017, 2016, 2015, and 2014)
    BMG73aupatkingAPB
  • BMG73BMG73 Posts: 24 Baller
    Can’t wait for number 2!
    Luzz
  • BlueSkiBlueSki Posts: 684 Crazy Baller
    Subscribed
    Luzz
  • aupatkingaupatking Posts: 1,294 Mega Baller
    I’ll be a listener!
    One thing I’ll say is, don’t be afraid to go long. My favorite podcasts are the ones that go on for hours: Dan Carlin’s Hardcore History is commonly over 4 hours and Joe Rogan is probably the most followed podcast and it’s never less than 2 hours. I still hate it when they’re over. Let conversations be natural conversation and the dialogue seems to make itself without some odd artificial time constraint. I think that your training makes you especially well suited for this as your questions are thought provoking and your insight always makes me think. You also just so happen to be an expert at waterskiing too.
    As a post script, and I don’t want to hijack your thread @Luzz but as you were “the Flowpoint Professor”, what happened to Flowpoint?
    BlueSkiLuzzFWinterlcarnes
  • vtmechengvtmecheng Posts: 621 Crazy Baller
    edited August 31
    I agree with @aupatking to a point. There are times where Joe Rogan goes less than 2 hours, either due to guest availability or lack to topics. It's important to keep the length so things stay fresh and interesting. So do what feels right and remember that it takes time to learn this and find a groove.
    BlueSkiLuzz
  • aupatkingaupatking Posts: 1,294 Mega Baller
    edited August 31
    I was too tired when I wrote that last night. I couldn’t get my wording right, so I just left it. What I really meant was, if an episode goes long, so what, it’s probably because it’s good! Don’t be constrained by an arbitrary time limit. Short ones are probably going to be good too
    vtmecheng
  • Luv2SkiLuv2Ski Posts: 32 Baller
    Love this!!! Thank you. I was hoping someone would do this. I just subscribed on Apple!
    Luzz
  • CnewbertCnewbert Posts: 129 Baller
    I’m looking forward to this. Thank you!
    Luzz
    Whatever time comes naturally, no reason to force it. There are plenty of popular podcasts that are 15 minutes each.
    Luzz
  • dbaconazdbaconaz Posts: 33 New Baller
    can't wait!! been waiting for this!! I hope we can come together and grow the sport!!
    Luzz
  • jkill_88jkill_88 Posts: 9 Baller
    I searched on Apple and it was there! Really excited. My advice would be to make sure you do a realm of topics to keep both beginners, advanced, and recreational people interested! Listening to episode 1 now! I’ll listen to a super long podcast if it’s a good topic and convo that warrants a lengthy discussion!
    Luzz
    @jkill_88 that's the plan, I want it to be accessible to all levels :)
  • skisprayskispray Posts: 169 Baller
    Do you plan to cover 3 event skiing or only slalom?
    dbaconaz
  • CnewbertCnewbert Posts: 129 Baller
    Subscribed!
    @skispray whatever comes to mind, tho the VAST majority of listenership will be swerving on one stick
    APBFWinter
  • dabeej20dabeej20 Posts: 23 Baller
    Just subscribed on Apple, excited to listen.
    Luzz
  • KRoundyKRoundy Posts: 318 Crazy Baller
    Following this Podcast on Spotify! Don't be afraid to share a bit about your own life! I'd love to hear how you got into skiing, how/when you became a pro, and just some good stories from the water ski community. I'm sure that you have sponsors which might make product discussions / reviews really hard, but that sure would be a great thing to listen to. It would be super fun if you could do interviews with some people like the LaPoints, Eddie Roberts, or others that have been with the sport for decades. They could share stories, talk about how skiing / equipment / training has progressed.
    LuzzBlueSki
    I would love to hear some about sport psychology and skiing, both with respect to training and tournaments.
    LuzzBlueSkiLuv2Ski

Trying a new way to share the podcast that is a bit more user friendly. If you click on the link above the following should happen:
    • If you are on a Mac, it should bring you to podcasts.apple.com
    • If you are on iPhone, it should open Apple Podcasts (if you have the app)
    • If you are on Android, it should open Google Podcasts (if you have the app)
    • If none of the above, it should send you to the podcast's website
    Can someone with Android test it and let me know :smile: ?
  • robmollysilverlakerobmollysilverlake Posts: 45 Baller
    @Luzz the link works on Android too. Thanks for the great podcast!!
    Luzz
  • KRoundyKRoundy Posts: 318 Crazy Baller
    Podcast number 2 has me regretting my college decisions - note, I went to college in the late 80s! :D
    Luzz
    Very cool. Looking forward to next Tuesday.
    Agree @KRoundy. Virginia Tech had a ski club when I was there, it's disbanded now. I didn't do it because the lake was 45 minutes away and I was afraid of the time commitment with engineering classes.
    Nice job!