Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Default Fin Settings

lpskierlpskier Posts: 2,573 Mega Baller
I am trying a new HO Omega. I’m not an HO guy, but I took some rides on an Alpha last spring and thought it was a nice ski.

Anyway, I started out with numbers I got from CP that we’re a little deeper and further forward than stock. The ski did not to roll up on edge well on my on side. I went to stock: better but not there yet. I took more fin out each set and it was better each time. Yesterday I skied a tournament and wasn’t psyched about the ski so I said what the hell and I set the fin on the same numbers I was running on my T3 and the Connelly GT-R. Fin further back and a lot shallower. Also less wing. Voila! The ski felt great I I skied decently, which is to say that my score wasn’t embarrassing.

So, the question for knowledgeable skiers ( @Horton @SkiJay @jayski @ms etc) is this: regardless of what a manufacturer recommends as stock settings, do you think that for reasonably skilled skiers and better that there are certain base settings that pretty much work for the skier regardless of ski, or are settings really ski specific regardless of skier skill level?
John Wilkins- Si non pro sanguine quem ludus ne. #iskiconnelly
rimodico

Comments

• The_MSThe_MS Posts: 5,276 Mega Baller
    You could be a back and shallow type of skier but it should all be based off the stock numbers start point.
    Shut up and ski
    Zman
  • Bruce_ButterfieldBruce_Butterfield Posts: 1,535 Mega Baller
    I first heard the theory that a skier should use "his" fin settings when changing skis about 15 years ago from another high end skier. While I was initially surprised, the more I thought about it, the more sense it made. We all have unique styles, have learned how to turn and ride a ski a little differently, and especially those of who have been around a long time have hard to change habits.

I think the "best" fin settings have as much, if not more, relationship to the skier than the ski. The obvious example is how short/deep vs long/shallow is much more skier dependent than ski. So while not an absolute rule, its definitely something to consider.

For any mid to advanced skier changing skis, I would still start with the manufacture's "stock" settings. If those don't work, or are way off, trying the settings from you current ski is certainly a reasonable idea. If none of those work after a few sets, the best advice is to put the ski back in the box.
    I'm Ancient. WTH do I know?
    ZmanGloersenVONMANmmosley899
  • HortonHorton Posts: 27,901 Administrator
    When in doubt try 6.840 / 2.500 / .78 (or stock DFT)

Support BallOfSpray by supporting the companies that support BallOfSpray

Barts ★ Connelly ★  DBSkis ★ Goode ★ Hobe Lake ★ HO Syndicate 

MasterCraft ★ Masterline ★ Performance Ski and Surf ★ Reflex ★ Radar ★ Stokes

adamhcaldwell
  • jimbrakejimbrake Posts: 1,308 Mega Baller
    @lpskier - you forgot to include me in your list of knowledgeable skiers. That really hurt.

JK - I agree with what Bruce wrote - you're are probably just comfortable with those familiar settings. Good starting point, but there's probably also value in moving from there to get the ski to do something better at your toughest pass.
    "...all of the basic fun banter"
  • lpskierlpskier Posts: 2,573 Mega Baller
    @Horton 6.840, 2.463, .780, 8.5* is where I am right now, although next set will be at 8* and I will try my “normal” 7.5* before I’m done. Stock I think is 6.840, 2.500, .790, 9*.
    John Wilkins- Si non pro sanguine quem ludus ne. #iskiconnelly
  • ZmanZman Posts: 1,516 Crazy Baller
    @lpskier I have a hunch that @Horton might chuckle a bit over worrying about 1/2 degree wing changes. :)
  • jayskijayski Posts: 817 Mega Baller
    @lpskier I concur with @Bruce_Butterfield if I look back on all my recorded fin settings on the skis that I feel I skied the best on the fin is always deeper than 2.50, around 6.85 and around .710-.715, except the Denali that is way further ahead. No idea why I beat my head against the wall with any long/shallow settings
    Drago
  • HortonHorton Posts: 27,901 Administrator
    @zman yeah no half degree wing changes please

Support BallOfSpray by supporting the companies that support BallOfSpray

Barts ★ Connelly ★  DBSkis ★ Goode ★ Hobe Lake ★ HO Syndicate 

MasterCraft ★ Masterline ★ Performance Ski and Surf ★ Reflex ★ Radar ★ Stokes