Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Whisper Fin Pro?

Comments

• The_MSThe_MS Posts: 5,977 Member of the BallOfSpray Hall Of Fame
    @Mancy what is a Pro skier?
    Shut up and ski
    jayskiJody_Seal
  • MancyMancy Posts: 21 Baller
    @The_MS
    Good point. Are there any other famous skiers using one of these fins?
    @Mancy I always ask that question
    Shut up and ski
  • skibrainskibrain Posts: 198 Solid Baller
    WF website testimonies page would indicate some familiar skiers are using or have tried it.
  • LOTWLOTW Posts: 208 Baller
    Unfortunately, for a lot of people, coaching is considerably more expensive than $300.00. When you live in Canada and do the math, including our unbelievably shitty dollar, it runs into the thousands for a 3 or 4 day trip. Also a stop at Perf and, well...you get the picture. I only wish that I lived in Orlando and had access to coaching like that. It's also cool to look at new gear never mind using it.
    Today I am looking at 4" of fresh snow on our frozen lakes and talking sleds and deer.
    schaferballsohard
  • UCFskierUCFskier Posts: 82 Baller
    totally agree @LOTW im in Northern Canada and it is difficult to get coaching all the time. we have a few sites with drivers and coaches to access but now days I primarily use video. have you sent your video in to the pros that do critiques? I found that is a pretty good bang for the buck. got me out of a slump this season
    ballsohard
  • teammalibuteammalibu Posts: 1,032 Mega Baller
    edited November 2020
    if he offered a try before you buy i would order one today, wonder how many of the originals are hanging on a screw in the garage like mine. for now i'll wait and see how many peeps are pbing on it this spring.
    Mike Erb Cedar Ridge Canton Miss.
    Horton is my hero
  • Dacon62Dacon62 Posts: 805 Crazy Baller
    @teammalibu do you mean how many of the original Whisper Fins or OEM fins are hanging on a screw on the wall?
  • KillerKiller Posts: 445 ★★★★Quad Panda Award Recipient ★★★★
    edited November 2020
    I'd say Elizabeth is a famous skier and tip rise is part of her style. Nate was running it too.

Jmac does as well and recommends it with no affiliation. [email protected] good enough? He pulls the tip as well, way before using a whisper fin.

I've not tried it but I'd like to!

Haters gonna hate
    ballsohard
  • MancyMancy Posts: 21 Baller
    Nate Smith uses Whisper Fin?
  • Ed_JohnsonEd_Johnson Posts: 2,245
    edited November 2020
    Yes, Nate did use it in practice, ran into 43 with it, liked it a lot, however, I believe it interfered with his D3 Sponsorship contract for competition.

I know Whitney was one of the first ones to use it in competition. Saw it on her ski !!!

Special Thanks to Performance Ski and Surf and the Denali Adam's !!!
    ballsohardFunoRyota
  • chris55chris55 Posts: 405 Crazy Baller
    Whitney had one WF on her ski at the Swiss Pro and she used a "regular" one at the Mastercraft Pro after the Swiss Pro. But it looks that she did not used the same ski....
  • chris55chris55 Posts: 405 Crazy Baller
    Regarding the WF I have one (15off at 34....22off sometimes skiing Mapple T2) at the begining it felt great espacially when skiing on a private lake. But since I ski 90% on open water, we have conditions changing all the time, rollers, waves, wind, temp etc... therefore at my level I went back to a regular fin because it felt more stable. I think the WF is great if you ski on a private lake and if you can have someone who can help you set up the fin correctly.
    Coaching still the best investment !!!!!!
    ballsohardUCFskier
  • ForrestGumpForrestGump Posts: 6,166
    It's actually OK to have a differing opinion. The canadians don't need to come to the aid of their homie. He stands just fine on his own.
    Shane "Crash" Hill

igkyaUCFskierWish
  • sgreggsgregg Posts: 21 Baller
    Sure great to have people out there trying to improve the equipment for our sport

DaveD
  • DWDW Posts: 2,272 Mega Baller
    As noted previously, looking to a sponsored athlete on what equipment is being used is not necessarily the indicator of acceptance one might have if free to choose anything.

Many stories about on 'sponsored' products being repackaged or replaced by a preferred product to provide the correct optics. Humorous example gone wrong, a team sponsored by Burger King was caught on national TV eating a track delivered pizza on pit wall. Team owner was not happy after receiving an irate phone call while the race was in progress:-)
    @dw getting a free fin isn't exactly sponsored... none of these skiers would use it if they didn't like it.
  • HortonHorton Posts: 30,003 Administrator
    edited November 2020
    @Than_Bogan nobody has a fin contract. ski companies could care less what fin skiers use as long as they ski good. When I was making CarbonFins both D3 and HO were unofficially under the table sort of endorsing what I was doing.

Support BallOfSpray by supporting the companies that support BallOfSpray

Connelly ★DBSkis ★ Denali ★ Goode ★ Follow ★ Hobe Lake ★ MasterCraft

Masterline ★ McClintock's ★ Performance Ski and Surf ★ Reflex ★ Radar ★ Stokes 

BG1chris55slow
  • skibrainskibrain Posts: 198 Solid Baller
    That’s it. I’m replacing the fin on my ski with a slice of pizza. But don’t tell my sponsors.
    Than_Boganchris55
    If it works, they all would use it.
    Good for some, not good for others.
    If it feels good, do it.
    Shut up and ski
    Killerchris55
  • UCFskierUCFskier Posts: 82 Baller
    we turned the fin tip to tail on a team mates ski for a joke.... damn near set a PB... left it that way for 2 more sets till he realized it kind of sucked.

Im not saying go switch your fins but great skiers can ski on most anything

I was going to say something about coaching again but Im sure ya all are sick of me saying: coaching > equipment > sweet board shorts
  • SethroSethro Posts: 324 Crazy Baller
    Honest question: Was that actually a shot at someone running [email protected] in a pro tournament because of some tip rise or is there an inside joke some of us are missing?
    It was a shot at the Instagram post bashing M4-5-6 guys on BOS
    Shut up and ski
    Sethroigkyaballsohard
  • richfosterrichfoster Posts: 85 Baller
    @Horton “ unofficially,under the table,sort of”.... Straight from the redundancy department of redundance. I like it!
    ballsohard
  • ballsohardballsohard Posts: 446 Crazy Baller
    @richfoster @Horton or straight from the office of unspecified services.
    richfoster
  • StefanStefan Posts: 127 Baller
    edited November 2020

FunoRyotaThan_BoganskialexKRoundy