Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Stack - What's the point?

adamhcaldwelladamhcaldwell Posts: 729 Open or Level 9 Skier
We don't always learn things by more reps, more effort, or more coaching.

For me, the search for answers has come from asking a different question. Here is one that made a profound difference in my understanding of this sport, and an even more profound difference in my buoy count and consistency.

So..... Being "stacked' - What is the point?

See if you can answer in two sentences or less - I'll will offer up my perspective on this question next week.
MDB1056Hortonballsohardtravtitle

Comments

• RGilmoreRGilmore Posts: 90 Baller
    The skier’s body is a variable link between the applied force and the resulting work.

Proper stack allows the most direct and efficient transfer of energy from the boat, which supplies the force, to the ski, where the work is done.
    Cooper_Trelawney
  • MISkierMISkier Posts: 3,123 Mega Baller
    The stacked body position allows you to resist the force of the boat and the corresponding load while transforming that energy into speed and direction. Proper stacked position also ensures the attitude of the ski is maximized onto the correct/optimal surfaces without the skier prematurely succumbing to physical fatigue and failing to retain the position for the required duration.
    The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.
    skispray
  • HortonHorton Posts: 30,191 Administrator
    Being stacked
    A ) transfers much of the load from muscles to skeletal structure & puts skier in a stable athletic stance
    B ) transfers load forward on the ski
    C ) puts the handle as close as possible ro the skiers COM

Support BallOfSpray by supporting the companies that support BallOfSpray

Connelly ★DBSkis ★ Denali ★ Goode ★ Follow ★ Hobe Lake ★ MasterCraft

Masterline ★ Performance Ski and Surf ★ Reflex ★ Radar ★ Stokes 

Cooper_Trelawneyadamhcaldwellballsohardhammerski
  • jcampjcamp Posts: 929 Mega Baller
    Being in a stacked position allows you to more efficiently gain on the boat.
  • Bruce_ButterfieldBruce_Butterfield Posts: 1,856 Member of the BallOfSpray Hall Of Fame
    "Stacked" simply allows a skier to use his body as a lever more so than brute strength.

How any given skier uses his stack is another story. A perfect stack leaning back and putting the brakes on is obviously bad. Finding the sweet spot with stack and leverage to maximize acceleration is the elusive goal.
    I'm Ancient. WTH do I know?
    Cooper_TrelawneyBobFballsohardjayski
  • GloersenGloersen Posts: 1,074 Mega Baller
    An effective stack maximizes the ski’s distance from the handle (under the line obvious).
    The greater the moment arm imparted by the ski, the greater the torque; thus angular acceleration.
    BobFWishballsohard
  • skialexskialex Posts: 1,165 Crazy Baller
    edited January 14
    Also Better stack lessen the chance of an OTF... which is a good thing, for your health and skiing life..
  • AndreAndre Posts: 1,545 Mega Baller
    All of the above!
    What do i win?
    GaryWilkinson
  • BobFBobF Posts: 196 Solid Baller
    edited January 14
    I also like to think that a proper stack guarantees that your weight (and/or the boat's energy) is centered on the ski's sweet spot, allowing it to work as designed.
  • MDB1056MDB1056 Posts: 581 Crazy Baller
    edited January 15
    Provides proper alignment required for energy transfer for efficient skiing.
  • ClydesdaleClydesdale Posts: 171 Baller
    edited January 15
    Nothing to add but I want to ski with @Fastguy888 and Spicoli from “Fast Times at Ridgemont High”.
    Fastguy888
  • ozskiozski Posts: 1,714
    If you apply some discipline and do this one "correct thing" at the end of the turn then a sequence of events pretty much just happen as a consequence of that one thing. If you don't do the "correct thing" you will spend your life wondering how the hell good skiers run short line.
    'Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.'' 2021 MC As soon as it lands Ski - KD Platinum

luckyosunadamhcaldwellBruce_Butterfield
  • ballsohardballsohard Posts: 447 Crazy Baller
    edited January 16
    I heard a rumour that if you ever question the importance of being stacked @Horton will appear at the end of your pass in scuba gear and will pull you under.
  • OTFOTF Posts: 387 Crazy Baller
    @ballsohard don’t worry about @horton, he don’t have time for that he’s coloring and building with blocks now.
    ballsohard
  • HortonHorton Posts: 30,191 Administrator
    @ballsohard is you want to ski like a kook with your ass hanging off the back of the ski it does not hurt me.

@otf things are changing around here. My job as a 1st grade teacher is coming to an end

Support BallOfSpray by supporting the companies that support BallOfSpray

Connelly ★DBSkis ★ Denali ★ Goode ★ Follow ★ Hobe Lake ★ MasterCraft

Masterline ★ Performance Ski and Surf ★ Reflex ★ Radar ★ Stokes 

ballsohard
  • BG1BG1 Posts: 205 Baller
    What’s the point? Leverage.
  • 6balls6balls Posts: 5,562 Mega Baller
    One important tool in a box full of 'em. Must be used with other tools and be properly applied to contribute to successful skiing.
    Dave Ross--die cancer die
    Andre
  • skisprayskispray Posts: 235 Crazy Baller
    edited January 16
    I think these answers that reference acceleration are right. It seems like when you are truly stacked it's akin to the idea that when sprinting you want to be leaning forward as much as possible without falling over. The idea is to be leaning forward to the maximum extent possible without "outrunning" your legs, so that your legs moving forward are all that's preventing you from falling forward onto your face. This is the action that will achieve maximum forward speed. Likewise, in slalom it seems like you want the connection to the boat and your body position to be "ahead" of the ski so that the ski is always trying to accelerate in order to get underneath you. If you can get into that sweet spot where the ski is wanting to accelerate to catch up to you but you are positioned so it isn't catching up to you until centerline, then you will generate the maximum acceleration possible and it will be along the path of the handle. At the end of the day it seems like it's about generating as much speed in the right direction as you can, so that you generate the most centrifugal force possible to whip you up on the boat.
    Wish
  • OTFOTF Posts: 387 Crazy Baller
    @horton you get fired because you won’t teach to count past 6? Seems like a good dad to me
  • pregompregom Posts: 311 Baller
    A good stacked position is what allows a skier to get the maximum mechanical advantage from the boat pull. Good stack - you convert pull into cross-course speed. Bad stack - you end with a nasty OTF fall. If I could only learn how to do this properly...
    B_S
  • blakeyatesblakeyates Posts: 183 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    Just stay stacked............. That is LaPoint.
    Blake Yates
    Nautique Promo Rep, GA
    BigGerald3
  • lpskierlpskier Posts: 3,067 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    @blakeyates If you’re Lucky.
    John Wilkins- Si non pro sanguine quem ludus ne. #iskiconnelly
    pregomBigGerald3
  • ZmanZman Posts: 1,732 Mega Baller
    It's going to be a long Winter.
    ReallyGottaSkiBruce_Butterfield
  • ZmanZman Posts: 1,732 Mega Baller
    And, that's no Bull.
  • hammerskihammerski Posts: 76 Baller
    Being stacked is an efficient way of getting max velocity from end of turn to centerline 🥸
    Jim Hammer
    Jim Hammer Insurance
    Winlock, WA
  • LK_skierLK_skier Posts: 57 Baller
    Stack = lean = more speed (with less input) = earlier to buoy = more control and time