Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Skiing after hip replacement? Anyone have any experience?

2»

Comments

• liquid dliquid d Posts: 1,313 Mega Baller
    Dr Raterman did my BHR in Tampa. I sent them xrays and a letter telling them what i wanted to do afterwards...ski really hard. He called me personally and said he could do it. He also said he lived on a slalom lake about 10 years ago and could run 28 off...haha! He sold me!
    BigGerald3
  • BS74BS74 Posts: 43 Baller
    Lots of experience! You will have no problem if the hip is replaced correctly. I had my left hip(left foot forward skier) replaced in 2005. Over the the next 11 years I dislocated it 8 or 9 times. Also, doctor got the leg 1/2 inch long. Started skiing about 6mos after surgery. The first time I hit the rooster tail I felt like some one hit my thigh with a sledge hammer, and it took another three mos. for that to go away. In 2016 I went to a new surgeon and his X Ray showed the socket to be 30 degrees out. Went to another and he said 27 degrees out. Who in hell makes a 30 degree mistake! The good news is I had the ball and socket replaced in 2016(thigh implant did not have to be touched), and now my leges are the same length. A revision of the socket is more complicated but he did a great job. Because he knew I skied, he put in an athletic ball. It is a ball inside of a ball for more range of motion. I have not had any dislocations since, and skiing again with confidence. I know quite a few skiers who have never had a dislocation and doing well. I only point out this as your success depends on how well the surgeon accurately puts in the implant, socket, etc. If done correctly, you will have no problem and you will be skiing again in no time. I'm also sure that they are using more technology now to get it right verses 15 years ago. FYI, I believe Luck Lowe set a record after his hip replacement. (not sure of this though. Good Luck, sorry so lengthy.
    RednucleusMISkierOldkier
  • lpskierlpskier Posts: 3,067 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    I’ve mentioned this before: Lucky won MM Nationals six months after hip replacement.

KLP recently had a double hip replacement. He did both at once I order to be ready to ski Worlds in the fall. He mentioned recently that he feels good enough to ski (2.5 months post surgery) but he wants to work on increasing leg strength first. Seems like a sensible plan.
    John Wilkins- Si non pro sanguine quem ludus ne. #iskiconnelly
    MISkier