Rule Proposal "Opt Down"

HortonHorton Posts: 31,489 Administrator
edited August 23 in News & Other Stuff
I would like to see a rule that would allow a skier to "opt down" on their first pass. What I mean by this is to have a first pass scored at 6 buoys less than what is actually performed.

Example: I would like to go off the dock at 32 off and have it scored at 28 off. My second pass would again be 32 off and would be scored as 32 off. From there all passes score as normal.

Why: This would offer skiers more flexibility on their opening pass. I would personally go off the dock at 32 (scored as 28). This would allow me to run two 32 off passes before shortening to 35. It would allow me to avoid 28 off and would not negatively impact the event in any way that I can think of. As it is I go off the dock at 28 in most tournaments.

I can not be the only one who would like to have 2 passes at their preferred open pass as opposed to a longer or slower opener.

Support BallOfSpray by supporting the companies that support BallOfSpray

Connelly ★ DBSkis ★ Denali ★ Follow ★ Goode ★ GiveGo ★ HO Syndicate ★ MasterCraft

Masterline ★ Performance Ski and Surf★ Reflex★ Radar★ Rodics OffCourse ★ Stokes

WishskibugRednucleusskialexShakeski

Comments

• JackQJackQ Posts: 457 Open or Level 9 Skier
    Jesus, hasn't ZBS made it hard confusing enough! Just man up and run 28 if 32,35,38 doesn't feel comfortable enough.
    RazorRoss3santangeloBroussard
  • HortonHorton Posts: 31,489 Administrator
    okay guys you're holding back. Tell me how you really feel.

Connelly ★ DBSkis ★ Denali ★ Follow ★ Goode ★ GiveGo ★ HO Syndicate ★ MasterCraft

jayski
  • keithh2oskierkeithh2oskier Posts: 826 Crazy Baller
    Maybe you can do a 52k/-32 start then increase the speed to 55k...
  • fu_manfu_man Posts: 498 Crazy Baller
    How about just go off at -28?
    MattPCooper_Trelawney
  • MDB1056MDB1056 Posts: 840 Crazy Baller
    Ok and the process to get a rule change considered , debated, evaluated, modified , re evaluate the new version , final mods made, submit for final final approval. Then comes debate on implementation which will take 3-4 rounds to work out…….. so we’ll maybe see it in how many years? Seriously…. Are more versions or rules needed?? The structure is the structure and it’s worked this long……
    aquaman35
  • BS74BS74 Posts: 206 Baller
    Currently, a skier can run passes below maximum speed and scores 6 less till maximum speed is achieved.
    I'd like to be able to go out at a higher speed than what my division calls for and be able drop my speed for the toughest pass. All bouys counted at division speed.
  • ski6jonesski6jones Posts: 1,199 Mega Baller
    @horton you've always said practice doesn't count. Why the change of heart?
    Carl Addington, Lakes of Katy, Texas
  • The_MSThe_MS Posts: 6,492 Member of the BallOfSpray Hall Of Fame
    @Mrs_MS would love it. 28 too slow but 30 and 32 is her zone.
    Shut up and ski
    HortonMrs_MS
    come on guys I just want an extra warm-up pass but I just can't face a 28 off behind the Nautique.

kurt
  • BraceMakerBraceMaker Posts: 4,968 Mega Baller
    You really just want to add.
    E. After each completed pass, the skier may advance to a higher speed, and/or a
    shorter line, i.e., pass-to-pass movements in the matrix may only go down, and/or
    to the right. or a skier may elect to repeat the previous pass for no score, but must complete the repeated pass to advance

Sort of solves your problem while still being potentially a full additional pass for every skier if most skiers use it as another warm up. Could be a tactical way to address the starting dock orientation on a site without an opt up. Add a penalty, if you miss the repeat pass subtract how many you missed from your opener. 32 opener, 4 at 3w second pass, -2.
    HortonScarletArrowObrienslalomliquid d
  • MISkierMISkier Posts: 3,325 Mega Baller
    No.
    The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.
    MDB1056
  • teammalibuteammalibu Posts: 1,118 Mega Baller
    @Horton man up how do you think the kids feel!
    Mike Erb Cedar Ridge Canton Miss.
    Horton is my hero
    ski6jonesjayskithager
    @teammalibu like Superman?

Broussard
  • WishWish Posts: 8,417 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    Man I’m gonna get beat up for this one.
    I totally agree with Horton. I don’t want 28 as an opener. 2 32s would be perfect. Also have a buddy that hates 15 off but struggles with 28. So 2 passes at 22 off would be his choice I’m sure. Sorry for agreeing with @Horton. It does feel really odd....sort of a nausea feeling.
    >>> 11.25..a different kettle of fish. <<<
    HortonMDB1056
  • WishWish Posts: 8,417 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    @ForrestGump

Hahahahahahhahah 😆😆😆😆😂😂😂😂
    >>> 11.25..a different kettle of fish. <<<
  • RazorRoss3RazorRoss3 Posts: 1,405 Mega Baller
    @Horton, go home you’re drunk
    HortonBruce_Butterfieldjayski
  • MDB1056MDB1056 Posts: 840 Crazy Baller
    edited August 24
    @ForrestGump THATS FUNNY! One of the best posts ever
  • lpskierlpskier Posts: 3,403 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    The process involves drafting a proposed rule and sending it to the rules committee for consideration.
    John Wilkins- Si non pro sanguine quem ludus ne. #iskiconnelly
    jayski
  • SlalomSteveSlalomSteve Posts: 121 Baller
    edited August 24
    I seem to be in the minority, but I'm into it. People who think it's dumb won't use it, people who like it will, without any negative effects on fairness, fun, time, etc. Why not?

Update after @BraceMaker 's response - good point, there is a negative effect on time, and tourneys are long enough as is, so I retract.
    HortonWishskialex
  • dchristmandchristman Posts: 1,328 Mega Baller
    Is it time to ski, yet?
    Hortongsm_peter
  • BraceMakerBraceMaker Posts: 4,968 Mega Baller
    @SlalomSteve the biggest issue is time.
    An event with say 25 skiers if most of them successfully make their opener, choose to repeat, then do the same top score you're adding another 4 or 5 skiers to the running order.

If 2 openers proves to be advantageous then some % of skiers are going to get another pass on top as well right?

Fine if events are gagging for skiers but most are not and people want to get around to wrapping the event up eventually.
  • RichardDoaneRichardDoane Posts: 4,792 Mega Baller
    The majority of skiers don’t run a 4th pass in a tournament. Just look at the Scorers notes. The boat has to always go down and back so it wouldn’t make that much of a difference. But it is a kooky idea.
    BallOfSpray Pacific Northwest Vice President of Event Management, aka "Zappy"
  • Jody_SealJody_Seal Posts: 3,508 Mega Baller
    @ForrestGump
    Moderators get this instead of a panda!!
    Hobby Boats can be expensive when the hobbyist is limited on their own skill and expertise.

Bruce_ButterfieldForrestGumpandjules
  • skibugskibug Posts: 2,158
    How about an Opt-even rule...I would much prefer to start at 28 and run 32 twice before my 35. So let any skier run any line length back to back, but then they have to keep shortening.
    Bob Grizzi
  • Cooper_TrelawneyCooper_Trelawney Posts: 289 Solid Baller
    The last thing waterskiing needs is another arbitrary rule. Just start a line length longer. No big deal.
    MDB1056Gloersen